NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Mount & Scope

As a beginner I started out last year with an EQ3-2 mount + since added basic motor drive, currently used with a Skywatcher 150PL, with the aim of finding out about astronomy + if I liked it, before splashing the cash.  I now know I like astronomy, enjoy viewing and would like to pursue imaging (have been doing DSLR & webcam planetary stuff so far), in particular DSO.  I now realise I need a better mount and will probably get a decent refractor for imaging.

1. I would appreciate thoughts / pros and cons of the HEQ5 Pro SynScan  Equatorial mount vs it's EQ6 equivalent; at the moment I'm erring towards the HEQ5 for better portability.

2. Which refractor for a budget of between £750 and £1,500 - or put differently what to look out for for DSO imaging; I rather like the look of the Orion ED80T Triplet apochromatic but am concerned that 80mm might be too small?    

Your Choices are very sound.  The HEQ5 Pro Mount is a proven Mount. Just like the NEQ6 Pro. I went for the NEQ6 Pro, as due to my balcony and possible vibrations I needed something more heavy and more solid.

The difference between the HEQ5 Pro and NEQ6 Pro is basically carrying capacity.  The HEQ5 Pro limit is 15 kg Visual and +/- 9 kg imaging.  The NEQ6 Pro limit is 23 kg Visual and +/- 15 kg imaging.

So for me, the NEQ6 Pro was also more future proof for me. About as Heavy as I can carry with my back problems.

Starting out in long exposure (DSO) imaging, a short focal length APO refractor is indeed the recommended choice to start out with. It's easier and more forgiving.

The SW Equinox 80ED Pro is a very popular Choice of Scope. If you have the Budget, then you could opt for a true triplet APO like the SW Esprit 80 or WO GTF81. the AltAir Astro Wave 80 triplet APO is also a popular choice.

Long focal length imaging is much more challenging, as it requires absolute perfect polar alignment and very acurate guiding with very little tollerance.

It doesn't mean you should avoid it tho. If you have the dedication and patience, you can definitely decide to go for it.

It all comes down to which targets you would like to image. If nebulas are your primary interest, then an 80 APO is the perfect choice, as most nebulas are very large targets.

If your main interest is small faint galaxies and planetary nebulas, then a longer focal length scope is a better choice.

In the end tho, most dedicated imagers end up with both type of Scopes. :)

If you are wanting portalable than the HEQ5 is your mount. Especially if you are looking to only put on it a 80mm refractor. You'll really love the combo.  Like above if you really have the budget for a good triplet than the suggestions above are good ones to look at. If you step down to a good doublet I would also suggest the Equinox ED80. This would allow you to buy a guiding setup at the same time. For this I would suggest a 9x50 modded to be your guide scope with a QHY5-II as a guide cam. I use this exact setup and easily get 15min subs without even really trying. If I really wanted to push for I'm sure I could get 20-30min sub.

Totally agree with the above. It depends a bit on what you mean by portable. I split my set up (HEQ5) into mount, weights and tripod in order to carry each piece. As another member said you will probably end up with several scopes. I've just purchased an AA 102 apo edt to demonstrate this fact. I find the site on this link very useful when you want to understand field of view for objects through your set up.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Thanks for the comments + reassuring.

Guillermo, Just to clarify (1) the difference in carrying capacity - are you saying that for imaging the weight is less than for visual, presumably as the imaging requires greater stability?  9kg doesn't seem to allow much for the scope + guidescope and say a DSLR camera etc. Would the HEQ5 provide sufficient ability to move up to a larger scope at a future date? (2) are you saying that the greater aperture of say 100mm or 120mm will result in greater focal length and thus the issues you outline?    

FLO quote 11 kg for imaging with the HEQ5, and if you go the short FL apo route you'll be safe with that limit. My Meg 90 / ST 80 rig comes in at 9.5 kg with the DSLR.

If you're going imaging then don't bother with the synscan version. Since you'll be using a computer of some kind anyway you can control the mount with EQMOD (Free) and an EQDIR adaptor (Cheep, from FLO).

The HEQ5 and a shortish focal length 80mm scope is a sound combination, and it has been the basis of many peoples astro imaging rig. If you have a look at a fov calculator such as http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php it will give you a good idea of the sorts of field of view you can get with the scope / camera combo you are thinking of.

You can guide with a finder guider - My HEQ5 was able to churn out 30 minute subs all night.

Thanks for the comments + reassuring.

Guillermo, Just to clarify (1) the difference in carrying capacity - are you saying that for imaging the weight is less than for visual, presumably as the imaging requires greater stability?  9kg doesn't seem to allow much for the scope + guidescope and say a DSLR camera etc. Would the HEQ5 provide sufficient ability to move up to a larger scope at a future date? (2) are you saying that the greater aperture of say 100mm or 120mm will result in greater focal length and thus the issues you outline?    

Something like a 100mm or 120mm APO can still sit on a HEQ5 Pro for imaging. Depending on the weight and length of the OTA.

If for example, in future you want to also get into long focal length imaging with an RC or SCT, like 8inch RC or 9.25 SCT (2 of the most popular Scopes), then a N EQ6 Pro might be a better choice to go for.

That's what I meant for future proofing yourself. Hence, one of the reasons I went for the N EQ6 Pro, so I don't end up loosing Money on selling on a HEQ5 and buying the N EQ6 Pro afterall.

BUT! If portability is an "important" factor!  The N EQ6 Pro is a heavy beast! If you have a car and don't plan to walk a lot with the mount, then the N EQ6 Pro can be just as portable as the HEQ5 Pro. Setup time is the same. Just the weight difference.

I also found a nice strong case in which the N EQ6 mount exactly fits. Just have to order a transport bag for the tripod at later date.

So again, if you plan on long walking trips with the mount and need easy transportability, I would stick to buying the HEQ5 Pro instead.  An 6inch RC or 8inch SCT can also be a lighter alternative long focal length scope that can ride on the HEQ5 Pro without problems, if you end up pursuing that side of the hobby.

Johnrt on this forum has a 6inch RC and makes fabulous images with it.

Archived