Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1 Ethos,9 galaxies,BIG smile

jetstream

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often print out screenshots of Stellarium using the ocular  feature to show me the view either through the scope or through the RACI finder.  I then use my giant finder to star-hop accurately.

I use  that method  as well lately more and more. Using the screenshots and me small mini Dob that does not have a finder scope, but just using a wide angle eyepiece, I bring a printed chart, some print outs of the ocular views I expect to see in the eyepiece, or for the finder in the Dob to match.  Seeing my view is partially rotated as well I can rotate the screenshots so they are facing as I expect to see them for an extra bit of ease.  Stellarium is very useful for this and you'll know once you see it in the scope and the patterns match, you know you bagged it for sure if it is a tricky catch  :smiley:

I think that this article was posted on a previous thread, but this is what I used to identify the Markarian's Chain

Google the following Cloudy Nights review

SW: Deep Virgo - Markarian's Chain

Ian thanks for that link,I finally found it,searching CN seems to be a challenge,I ended up googling itGreat article and it contains an image of what I saw,which has helped me identify them for sure.The evening before I went to a near dark site and saw 5 galaxies in this Chain section.The farther site for this report gave me the 9 galaxies in the picture.The SQM was the same @ 21.8-21.9 mag,makes me curious. I did go to the farther site because of the chance of catching the tail end of above avg transparency re: cleardarksky.Maybe this was the difference,or maybe it was a bit darker...?Worth some more trips to find the nearest best site.I would love to try a 14" out there... :smiley: Thanks for the help to identify,navigate!

Good choice of target! Whilst you are in the area, There is a lovely little cluster of Fuzzies in Leo's Mane (midway between Algieba and Adhafera).

Paul

I had another great night of observing Paul and I checked out the area between Algieba and Adhafera and only saw 3 galaxies,all in a vertical row and the "bottom " one was next to a star.That Algieba is an awesome looking double!I saw lots more galaxies in Virgo,Coma and compared my 10mm Luminos on them too.It did very good,all nine galaxies of that section of the Chain were seen,also M51 and M101 sprials in it + more.

Went to my buddys farm field road (wet),13 miles from town and got a surprising SQM 21.7,NELM 6.3.I went this way to drive into the transparency pocket.My home is 19.8 mag tonight.

Paul,thanks for the tip,they looked great

You are certainly getting some good observing on Gerry, sounds fabulous.

Out of interest, how are you locating these pockets of good transparency? Presumably you have access to a forecast map of some sort for transparency? Not seen that sort of thing around.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are certainly getting some good observing on Gerry, sounds fabulous.

Out of interest, how are you locating these pockets of good transparency? Presumably you have access to a forecast map of some sort for transparency? Not seen that sort of thing around.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Stu the only way to get all this obs in is to use http://cleardarksky.com/c/FtFrnsONkey.html?1.Weather.com also has a very good radar cloud map-interactive,which I also use.Last night a strip of transparent sky was west of me came in from the north.I pick my objects from this forecast too....if great trans,poor seeing,high air pressure-I don't bother with the planets.And vice versa.I needed site to observe from,so I  have a bunch of dark sites located in different areas in case I have to "drive into" the transparency.

We are lucky to have Allan Rahill and Atilla Danko.It can be so accurate that I will drive 40 miles into a "pocket" of clear sky that may only last an hour or 2,and starts when and where they say.Thats like last night....rained,then snowed during the day and cleared up really late-I loaded up in drizzle...

gerry you realy need to invite a few of us of hear to come for a week or 2, then we can see for our selfs all those lovely dso,s :smiley:

Deal!Come on over.... :smiley: but you have to bring your VX14 with you though ....so I can use it for some even better views! :grin:

Alex,you and yours are welcome anytime ,the family lake place has a house and cabin...and lots of mosquitos!LOL!Summer isn't the best for astro anyway,early fall is favorite season of mine-it is usually very nice.Canada is a huge, varied place.Where I live was actually part of the Voyageur route-from old Fort William(Thunder Bay) to Winnipeg,that still has 21.5+ mag skies for most of that way.With luck there might be an Obsession to play with here too....

Archived