Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super Solar Monday?... Big Prom on Gong!

Luke

A piece seemed to grow from the base of the prom before breaking off and floating away in 2/3 pieces. Seems to have settled down again now...

You can see the 'tail' piece here that broke away (and you can just make out another detached piece above the main structure)

13946447841_9ef4091e78_z.jpg

Untitled by g.nat, on Flickr

I must say that watching this is better than anything on TV!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great commentary Luke. I finally got to view approching midday. The large looping prom is certainly a good spectacle to watch. I watch on the computer, and although in mono, the prom is stunning. I managed a 30min timelapse but clouds are being a problem. During the timelapse there was a small but poweful CME which releases a jet of plasma into the solar winds. Was nice to watch it dissipate as it shot thousand of miles into space.

If the timelapse is any good, I'll post it later, if not then just some still frames.

Clouded out now.

Down having a downpour. Just covered the scope with a black sack and legged it back indoors.

A bit late to the telescope today so seeing not brilliant. Fine day but howling a hoolie along with it (very windy for those south of the border).

In white light 7 groups counted, 2 north, 5 south, R = 107.

In H-alpha a fine pillar prominence graced the SW limb and another was seen on the SE limb near a prominence hearth of smaller elements. A nice loop was also on the NW limb. Seven filaments were counted, a semi circular filament was seen around the following spots of AR2038 and a dark filament still to the south of AR2044.

Plage seen with AR2034, 2035 and 2045.

Missed all the spectacular stuff earlier but had a nice lunch out instead. You can't have everything I guess!

Well it seems like we all got to share the spoils today :smiley: I am so pleased the sun came out and didn't let us down on our day off :laugh:

32 posts on a Solar thread is excellent, and long may it continue. Thanks for a great day guys :laugh:

Hopefully tonight we will get some nice meteors as the Lyrids should be peaking tonight

Not to be left out of the fun, I got a quick look through my PST at home early on and saw what has been enthusiastically described. Unfortunately by the time I got up to the solar obsy it was so hazy even the 120mm ha scope gave a disappointing view. :sad:

The 120mm H-a scope sounds great fun, Peter, hope you catch the next fireworks display in it, and good on the PST serving up a swift view for you.

The conditions fell off rapidly our way with very strong haze. I got a few grabs in white light with a 120mm then switched to a 66mm for a lazy full disc, and the view on screen was so poor I just had to laugh. The view was a mass of fuzz, with a dark fuzzy blob for the largest spot!

I think Sarah and I were very lucky that the haze was okay for a reasonable spell, it didn't fully clear up at any point during the day.

We noticed that at one point there was a huge halo around the Sun, like a Moon halo. I tried snapping it with my phone but not have got round to checking it yet.

Thanks all for the fun today :laugh:

Archived