Orange moon caused by Mars!

ChrisThePuma

Since getting my scopes I have been asked a lot of "strange" questions and had to dispel a lot of myths.

One guy at work, after showing him an image of the moon I took and loaded onto phone, told me he didn't realize there were that many oceans on the moon.

Another actually got mad at me when we were talking about the upcoming Lyrids and I told him they weren't actually falling stars. And after explaining what they were, he still refused to believe me. He said "if they aren't falling stars then why do they call them that?" I quickly changed the subject.

Would like to know what was explained to the girl concerning why it was red?

Since we refer to the regions of the moon as oceans and seas I suppose that without being supplied more information the comment is possible, Apollo 11 landed in the Sea of Tranquility after all.

Also again we do call them falling stars.

Utterly incorrect but in a literal sense part of our own doing.

Agreed not worth arguing over if they do not want to know.

Come on, the midlands hasn't advanced to medieval yet has it? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I could believe the Mars theory, lunar oceans and real falling stars easier then that. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I try to be nice and explain things. I am by no means an expert in any sort of the word. But I would like to think that I do know what I am talking about. If someone comes up and asks a question that I don't know the answer to I am more than willing to tell them I don't know. I then go home and research the subject until I feel I can give them a reasonable answer. Or I give them a few ideas on where to look for their own answers. 

I tried explaining to the other half...that the sun does not move it is the earth that orbits the sun....and it takes 365 days to do one circuit around the sun.

But then she said...but the sun rises in the east and sets in the west...which actually gives the impression that its the sun that is moving...fair point

Another actually got mad at me when we were talking about the upcoming Lyrids and I told him they weren't actually falling stars. And after explaining what they were, he still refused to believe me. He said "if they aren't falling stars then why do they call them that?" I quickly changed the subject.

I like his logic :grin:  Perhaps he can explain why you 'mericans call your game of football so, when in reality there's actually almost no "footing" of the ball?

Still recall a howler many years ago in a US kids TV show on which an astronomer was a guest to talk about Jupiter, the dialogue ran along the lines of

Astronomer: "Jupiter has 12 moons"

Presenter: "So its always dark on Jupiter!"

Astronomer: "Err, no..."

I mentioned to a friend the other day that I was going to get my scope out ("oo-er!) and she said "I was in the garden the other night having a smoke looking at the stars.  I went out again later and they'd moved!! OMG I didn't know they did that!"

Double face-palm.

I mentioned to a friend the other day that I was going to get my scope out ("oo-er!) and she said "I was in the garden the other night having a smoke looking at the stars.  I went out again later and they'd moved!! OMG I didn't know they did that!"

Double face-palm.

Well at least she noticed.

At the risk of invoking Moderator ire, I am reminded of an occasion way back when I used to do UFO investigation.  A report came in that clearly was a mis-identification of Venus, but as it was local to me I went to see the witness; Venus was high in the sky and sure enough the guy excitedly pointed at Venus saying "Thats it!!", didn't matter how many times I stated "That's the planet Venus" he insisted I wasn't looking at the same thing  he was...

Archived