SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tadpoles unbinned (130pds)

Uranium235

Ok, after a frenzy of binning over the last month or so I thought it time to have a go in the slow lane for a while and try for some resolution instead.

Im fast running out of Ha to play with (and darkness!), so all I could manage was a quick stab at the Tadpoles as it set into the murky horizon.... not ideal, but better than nowt under what seemed a dodgy sky and very bright full moon (such an odd colour it was too... almost seemed pale green to me when first rising).

Anyway, Ive just taken some calibration frames and done a quick process... hmmm, could be better. Perhaps I can grab some more (good) data over the Easter break. But, by that time the Moon should be gone for a good few hours so I might have another bash at some galaxies.

IC410:

11x600 (Ha)

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6, MkIII MPCC

Calib: Flats and Bias

Thanks for looking!  :)

post-5513-0-03162100-1397681270.jpg

post-5513-0-03162100-1397681270_thumb.jp

Nice one Rob, star shapes looking good across the frame and I think you've gone impressively deep considering the full moon. This encourages me to try more Ha with brighter moons.

Doesn't seem to have compressed very well to jpeg, though - quite a few artefacts crashing the party.

Nice one Rob, star shapes looking good across the frame and I think you've gone impressively deep considering the full moon. This encourages me to try more Ha with brighter moons.

Doesn't seem to have compressed very well to jpeg, though - quite a few artefacts crashing the party.

Cheers Lewis, I know what you mean about the compression artefacts - I had a feeling it didnt look quite right. I will upload it to flikr later on and see if that improves things.

I did crop this very slightly as the stars kinda lost the plot in one very far corner, I put that down to the plastic spacers I used - which seemed to deform a bit when I tightened up the threads. However, some lovely delrin spacers arrived today from auntie FLO - so that should put an end to cold welding and give a much more precise (and repeatable) spacing arrangement. I didnt realise they were a selection of thicknesses - which is very handy indeed when trying to get the spacing to a tolerance of +/- 0.1mm.

This may seem like a noob question but why is it rendered in black and white?

Its in b/w because it was shot with a monochrome camera. To obtain a colour image I need to shoot an additional OIII channel and combine them together as Ha/OIII/OIII (mapped as RGB respectively).  It may seem like it would take longer, but in reality it doesnt.

Without trying to re-ignite recent debates, mono LRGB or Narrowband is by far the best way of imaging as it is the most flexible (and fastest) system to work with.

Archived