Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Clubs

centroid

Do you belong to a local Astronomy Club ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you belong to a local Astronomy Club ?

• Yes
    • No, because there isn't one
    • No, because its not my scene
    • Did belong once, but left
    • I'd like to if there was one

I've been a member of North Devon Astronomical Society since Jan 07, and have found them to be a very welcoming and warm bunch.

I think I felt a little self concious to start with as I knew nobody there at all, and they all seemed to have known each other for years - but that self conciousness was something i'd brought with me - and if I hadn't been so keen to get started with Astronomy I might have interpreted it as "clickiness" - but as I've got to know them, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm so glad I joined.

I'm now on the committee as the resident web monkey.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a member of CPAC (castle Point Astronomy Club), and must say I that I love it. As for the problems that the two people above have seen.....can't say I've experienced that.

Am now living up near Cambridge and still commute down most Wednesdays to the club meetings.

Tim

would love to but it's a bit far really, in bolton so over ten miles, and i don't have a car/driverslicense.

also i would feel awful if i kept asking the mrs to run me there and back.

seems like a great idea though to be honest with you.

In my case, yes I am a member of my local Astro Society, but very rarely attend meetings, as I prefer practical astronomy, as opposed to the 'armchair' variety.

Our society (Worcester AS) has two/three meetings a month. The first (second Thursday of the month) is an 'armchair' meet at the local Uni with visiting speakers. However, the second (third Thursday) is a 'practical 'meeting held at an out-of-the-city scout hut. If the night is clear we have observing sessions. If it's cloudy we have general chin wag and one or two of the members give talks on observing-related subjects. Recent talks have included building an observatory, using IRIS software, imaging Comet Holmes, lunar geology, and a round table discussion on our favourite objects. I've just prepared a talk on Observation Planning and Logging. If the fourth Thursday we observe, but only if it's clear.

I suspect many society have equally practically-based sessions.

Archived