NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ethos vs Leica zoom?

jetstream

Might have a chance to on Tuesday....

I think it will struggle vs the Ethos though because the afov is only 60 degrees at 17.8mm so not really directly competitive.

I'm mainly planning on using it with a VIP Barlow for planetary work where the afov is less important, but also near 80 degrees at the short focal lengths.

Will report back when I've had a decent session with it.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone who currently owns some Ethos and XW's and has considered the Leica ASPH zoom a number of times I'll be keeping an eye out for feedback on this. I've read and re-read the feedback on the Cloudnights forum on the zoom but, so far, I've not read anything that has actually pushed me over the edge into purchasing one. Nearly, but not quite  :smiley:

My nagging doubts about the Leica would be around how it would fare in my 12" F/5.3 dobsonian. I'm pretty confident with regard to my refractors.

Plus I do love the 100 degree FoV and I still suspect I'd miss it ! :rolleyes2:

I agree that from the reports, it seems to suit refractors better. I intend to keep my Ethos' for Widefield, plus some dedicated ep's at the planetary/doubles end and use the Leica as a replacement for the mid range where I had quite a few Delos/XW and Radians. With the VIP Barlow it has quite a range so should be a very flexible option.

Just had a quick squizz at the moon through the 76 with it and it was very nice. Couldn't get the Barlow to come to focus but was too rushed to plus around with the different configurations possible. Sure it will work somehow.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gathered that the Meopta 7.3-14.6 bested the Leica aspherical in F/5 Newtonians, so the Leica may be better suited to fracs. The Meopta isa good deal cheaper, and has a slightly different range. Saving up for one currently. As it has 66 deg AFOV throughout, it could be a replacement for the XW and Delos kit I have, but I am mainly looking at it as part of a lightweight travel package, and for use in my solar scope.

I gathered that the Meopta 7.3-14.6 bested the Leica aspherical in F/5 Newtonians, so the Leica may be better suited to fracs. The Meopta isa good deal cheaper, and has a slightly different range. Saving up for one currently. As it has 66 deg AFOV throughout, it could be a replacement for the XW and Delos kit I have, but I am mainly looking at it as part of a lightweight travel package, and for use in my solar scope.

Interesting Michael. I've seen the Meopta listed on the APM site and assumed that it must be decent or they would not carry it but I didn't realise that it was quite that good.

66 degrees is a very useful FoV for a zoom - my Hyperion only gives me that at the 8mm setting.

Interesting Michael. I've seen the Meopta listed on the APM site and assumed that it must be decent or they would not carry it but I didn't realise that it was quite that good.

66 degrees is a very useful FoV for a zoom - my Hyperion only gives me that at the 8mm setting.

Very interesting spec, I thought. I was tempted to get either the TS HR Planetary zoom or the Astro Professional Flatfield Zoom (7.5-22mm), which have longer zoom range. The latter also lists a very nice 18.5-19mm eye relief which is great for people with glasses. I do believe I would find the FOV cramped at the long end. By contrast, If I get the Meopta, and combine it with the 24 and 20mm MaxVision 68 deg EPs, I have the same effective range, with 68 or 66 deg FOV throughout.

First need to save up some dosh.

Archived