Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Windows 8 Compatability

I am about to purchase a new laptop to be used for things Astro and just want to check that all the software will work on Windows 8. The list of main items is:

Eqmod

Cartes du ciel

Apt

Astrotortilla

Phd2

Please let me know that it will all be fine....!

Thank you.

Depends what you like to be honest. The traditional Windows desktop bit is similar to Windows 7, the 'metro app' bit is more like what you'd expect on a tablet.

Personally I think the 'metro' bit looks quite nice but I ended up getting frustrated with many of the metro apps as they tend to lack functionality and be simplified versions of what I was used to (e.g. Mail, the Photo Viewer etc.). In the end I've tended to end up going back to the traditional applications running on the Windows 8.1 desktop.

Depends what you like to be honest. The traditional Windows desktop bit is similar to Windows 7, the 'metro app' bit is more like what you'd expect on a tablet.

Personally I think the 'metro' bit looks quite nice but I ended up getting frustrated with many of the metro apps as they tend to lack functionality and be simplified versions of what I was used to (e.g. Mail, the Photo Viewer etc.). In the end I've tended to end up going back to the traditional applications running on the Windows 8.1 desktop.

Since upgrading to win 8.1 I haven't used the metro screen as I have it set up to boot straight into normal desktop mode 

for any serious work Windows 8 is a joke coming from an IT perspective
I do a lot of coding and website design as well as audio video editing as well as specialized programs and I would never move to Win 8
even Windows 7 I have to use the Ultimate version to allow network integration and full admin functionality thats not available on the home edition
I've rebooted at least 6 laptops back to windows 7 for customers as they can't get to grips with windows 8

I can see why Micro$oft went down this road, I'm happy to use Linux / Ubuntu but my pro audio interface isn't supported and no good for video editing
or more recently there are very few Astro targeted software on the other platforms so I have to use Windows most of the time

Not sure if Home editions get this option (probably do) but you might be entitled to a Windows 7 'downgrade', you have to go to the Microsoft website to get the downgrade licence and Windows 7 installer, which should both be free with a legitimate copy of Windows 8.  You will have the option to go back to Windows 8 later if you want to, may or may not require a trip back to the Microsoft website to 'undo' the licence change.

I don't believe it's possible to buy Windows 7 new off the shelf since Windows 8 came out.

I have tried out Windows 8 at work and from a desktop business user point of view (traditional desktop computer, no tablet or touch screen) it's rather pointless really compared to Windows 7.  Metro adds nothing but annoyance for me, finding programs requires several more steps than the old Start menu and I see very little value in the large tiles thing, best left on the phone or tablet IMO.

You might try to get in touch with the developers to see if they can confirm Windows 8 compatibility, but if you decide to go to Windows 7 as a downgrade option it may not be a problem anyway.

I'm a mac user through and through, but for Astro it has to be a windows PC... The XP laptop I have been using is frustratingly weedy and the wifi card, which was always flakey, has decided to not find any networks at all. I've tried a million things to get it working, but failed. So, the next step is a beefy new machine, but they all come with windows 8 as standard. Anyway, as it will only be for the Astro apps I think I will crack on with the update. To be fair, any version of windows doesn't particularly excite me!

Archived