Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 first attempt

Here's my (almost) first light with SW 200PDS on HEQ5 with an unmodded Canon 70D. 20 x 45s @ ISO3200 unguided, 10 exposures thrown out. Stacked in DSS, output processed in Lightroom.

post-35742-0-83218600-1397138951_thumb.j

The diffraction patterns around the bright stars are a bit irregular. Does this indicate that the focus and/or collimation are somewhat off? Any other improvement ideas?-)

WOW! Amazing. M13 is one of my favourites but barely a tiny grey smudge from London :(

I once viewed it from Laughton in Sussex - 5 miles miles from the nearest light source - through a giant 12" Skywatcher reflector. It absolutely blew me away - this reminds me of that moment!

Very nice.  Looks like you might have NGC6207 in the bottom right corner too?  And perhaps another galaxy very faint about halfway between the two.

James

Yes, NGC 6207 and IC 4617 were unexpected bonuses that I wasn't really planning to include. Or in the case of IC 4617 didn't previously even know existed, since it doesn't really show up in Stellarium ;)

Archived