SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cumbria Star Party 10

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folk,looking foward to meeting up again and enjoying the clear skies that mike has ordered:)

Sorry you wont make it Tom,see you át next one.

Drive safe Adrian and i'll see you all Thursday afternoon.

Kenny

Hi everyone,

Just finished making the stables nice and cosy for us.  I am so looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting our new CSPer's.  I have got Jacket Potatoes, Tea and Coffee, Bacon sandwiches and hopefully some seafood Salmon/Prawns etc from work.

There are still a few finishing touches to make in the stables, some candles, a couple of bottles of bucks fizz a few bags of charcoal for the bbq and yourselves.  I hope everyone has a safe journey, see you all in a couple of days.

Can't wait

Nina

Xxxx

Hi folks,

Just a few days to go!! Those arriving early safe journey and save us some clear skies!!   :hello2:

Daniel and myself will be down on Friday evening for two nights and are really looking forward to catching up with all the regulars and meeting the new attendees (sorry you can't make this one Tom).

I'll bring a lamb curry and naans - not as hot as the last time!!  :angryfire:  :grin:  Daniel is looking forward to the seafood again Nina and helping to cook the Salmon for everyone. 

I'll also be bringing a PST and a Herschel Wedge so hopefully we can all do some solar observing as well.  :smiley:

Cheers

Steve

Hi Kenny,

Two tents erected, it has been a lovely blue sky day here today.

Shame you cannot arrive till Friday, the grass will be even taller.

Mike is busy cooking ( or something that goes for cooking ) the dinner.

Phil is arriving tomorrow.

I am lunching at the Haugh of Ur on Friday so will see you later in the day.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi guys,good to hear you are well and arrived safe.hope you get some clear skies tonite.

Looking forward to this also Steve and to give my new toy a run out...solar observing sounds great...im looking forward to some planetry imaging also.

And if the weather does'nt play ball then theres always whisky...food...good company and a few games of pool down the pub.

See you soon.

Kenny

Hi Everybody,

Just a little post to keep you up to date with the escapades of CSP10.  

We began on Wednesday with Adrian and Mike who were treated to glorious total clear skies with excellent seeing.  Food was abundant with Mike cooking his Mexican chicken casserole which was enjoyed by all.  

Unfortunately we were not as lucky on Thursday evening the sky let us down slightly, we managed 40 minutes viewing but once again Mike and his culinary skills were tip top and we all enjoyed more beautiful food.  

Now we are onto Friday when everybody arrived with tents, telescopes, children, dogs, keylime pies, meat & potato pies, various kormas and curries, enough BBQ food to feed an army oh and don't forget the numerous bottles of whiskey, beers, port etc etc.  Enough to keep us going through the cloudy evening, right through to 4am (well we think thats what time we finished) !!!!!

This morning I was my usually late self with the bacon sandwiches and coffee but I did exceed expectations by only being an hour late, many thought it was going to be 2 hours late,  I blame the bottle of Bucks Fizz I drank last night.

So Today is going to involve mainly tinkering with telescopes, replenishing the bar, I see a cricket tournament on the horizon, well the children do.  Lesley has popped in for a visit and says hello to all who could not make it.  We are now going to go and nurse our headaches.

I will keep you all updated of our goings-on later this evening - If sober

Wish you could all be with us.  Fingers crossed for clear skies please

Speak soon

Nina

xxx

Back home and just about sorted out.  Thank you to all who were there and made it a cracking weekend and made us feel very welcome just a shame about the skies not playing ball over the weekend, although I feel very lucky to have  seen Saturn through Mike's Obsession.

A special Thanks must go to Nina for the facilities and hospitality and to Mike for the organising and to all those that provided delicious food.  We will definitely be back for the next one and with the huge praise that Mike and Kenny have for Galloway we are booked in up there so will see you all there as well.

Would just like to say thank you to Nina and everyone for making me and my two girls feel very welcome.

I am very glad Tony mentioned the event to me and talked me into meeting some great people, just wish I could have seen the true power of the scopes on show.

Jason

Sorry I missed CSP10 guys. I expect everyone had a great time (we always do). Let me know when the next one is and I will be down.  Unfortunately the meeting in Glasgow that I had to attend on Saturday afternoon got cancelled that morning - a bit late for me to change plans - GRRR!  Still, there is always CSP11.

Have a good Summer.

Tom

Hi,

Got home safely last Monday, the traffic on the motorways for Bank Holiday was light, maybe the cool weather had something to do with it. I have dried my tent out, repacked it for the next outing, which will be DAG (Dacorum Adventure Group) at Swanage.

I agree the weather at CSP 10 was not great, the Wednesday evening was very good, with clear skies, but it was about midnight before the sky was dark enough to observe.

It was very nice to meet up with the attendees, some new and the regulars.

I managed to help in the erection of 5 tents, interesting how different tents work.

Steve, hope you managed to change your brand new tent for a fault free one.

Hope to meet up again soon.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived