NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

To ED or not to ED....

So here is my dilemma, I'm being drawn to purchasing a larger frac as I currently own an 8 inch newt and 6 inch mak, as well as a 4 inch frac I use for guiding.

I like the Evostar range as I'm familiar with SW however I'm torn between aperture fever and going for the 6 inch 1200mm Evostar 150 then eventually upgrading the focuser, or getting the 4 inch 900mm Evostar 100ed-ds pro. If I get the 6 inch then I'll have change for a nice eyepiece to boot...

Scope would be primarily visual and maybe sometimes used for terrestrial birding or nature photography but not really for astro as I have my newt with a coma corrector for that.

I'm sorted mount wise be it motorised or not and weight/size bares no issue.

If either scope is going to be a viable replacement of my little mak then I'll probably end up selling that.

Please help me spend my money :)

Thanks,

Matthew.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the SW ed 100 pro which was recomended to me as im a visual observer only.. having owned the scope for about 6 months now im really happy with it as are others i know who own the same model... i use mine on an az4 mount.. a match which in my opinion is perfect...

I have the SW ed 100 pro which was recomended to me as im a visual observer only.. having owned the scope for about 6 months now im really happy with it as are others i know who own the same model... i use mine on an az4 mount.. a match which in my opinion is perfect...

I see you have some lovely ep's too, have you ever pushed the scope past the 150x mag that 6mm will give you?

Yes matthew i have used a mates 4.5 delos which gave 200x.. it worked a treat on jupiter and other targets..200x is usuable most nights where i live.. another mate uses a radian 4mm quite a lot in his which i think gives 225x.. personally i like the wide views i get with the scope with lower mag eps as much as anything..

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. My concerns lie in that a 6 inch maksutov may as well be a 4 inch frac due to the comparatively large obstruction, only that the frac should give better contrast. I've pushed my little mak beyond 300x on good nights and would like that ability from a frac if possible... Hence my thoughts on the 6 inch frac, I understand that the CA will be pronounced at these magnifications.

Most of my viewing tends to be between 30x and 50x mag for messiers and dso's. I do take a peak at the planets when they come into view mind.

I wouldnt know how far the mag could be pushed with the 100ed.. what i do like about it is even when the seeing is not very good as its mostly been since new year it seems to cut through it well.. wether this is a refractor thing and small aparture thing i dont know.. all i know is i and others who have used it are very impressed with the sharpness and images seen with it.. all i need now is a run of clear weather ...

Is the refractor for imaging? If that is the case I would personally be looking at an ED80 and a reducer. Visually I would have thought that the scopes you have would have you well covered, I can't see the advantage in adding a refractor to your arsenal.

That said the ED100 is a fantastic scope. I have owned both the ED100 and the ED120 and found them both to be excellent. I actually think the ED100 has the edge visually, the image is uber clean. As LB quite rightly points out with an extension pier on an AZ 4 you have a match made in heaven, totally balanced and excellent value for money IMHO

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. My concerns lie in that a 6 inch maksutov may as well be a 4 inch frac due to the comparatively large obstruction, only that the frac should give better contrast. I've pushed my little mak beyond 300x on good nights and would like that ability from a frac if possible... Hence my thoughts on the 6 inch frac, I understand that the CA will be pronounced at these magnifications.

Most of my viewing tends to be between 30x and 50x mag for messiers and dso's. I do take a peak at the planets when they come into view mind.

The CA would be life threatening in a 6inch achromatic scope. The is effectively zero CA visually in a n ED100. If I had a choice between a 6 inch make or a 4 inch ED scope for planetary observation I know the scope I would choose.

Is the refractor for imaging? If that is the case I would personally be looking at an ED80 and a reducer. Visually I would have thought that the scopes you have would have you well covered, I can't see the advantage in adding a refractor to your arsenal.

That said the ED100 is a fantastic scope. I have owned both the ED100 and the ED120 and found them both to be excellent. I actually think the ED100 has the edge visually, the image is uber clean. As LB quite rightly points out with an extension pier on an AZ 4 you have a match made in heaven, totally balanced and excellent value for money IMHO

Interesting points. It will be primarily visual for looking at the skies but also occasionally used as a mega telephoto for daytime nature photos/video.

Mount wise I'm sorted as have an neq6 pro which could probably spin me round sat on this scope and apart from for manual mode I use an old video setup which is good for 20+kg.

Is the CA really going to be that bad, or is it a personal thing? I've read good reports about the 6 inch evostar and a fringe killer of sorts would likely give semi apo viewing.

I'd worry more for light loss going for a smaller 100mm scope.

I can't vouch for an ED100, however if the scope you want is going to be mostly for visual, you're going to want a good helping of aperture... As others have said, there is a reasonable amount of CA which you cant avoid with an achro, but a fringe killer and contrast filters i'm sure would help.

From my experience the 6" frac, for the performance and money, is the ideal way to go, and like you say, you'll have change for a decent set of EPs or other accessories like a focusser. The sharpness of an achro vs apo when using for visual isn't really a noticeable difference - the only noticeable difference between the designs when using for visual is the CA. Personally this doesn't bother me much as i expected it with a large frac, but being the longer focal length tube, it is reigned in a lot. If you can put up with a bit of a blue halo at higher powers, then great. If not, you may need to shell out for the 100ED.

Talking only through experience with the 6" frac here, but i would be interested to physically see the differences the scopes can offer.

Its the light loss that concerns me most, getting lower mag out of the 6 inch will be brighter in the ep than getting the same out of a 4 inch, this pushes me towards the larger aperture purely for dso hunting.

Will have to take a look through the two scopes albeit in daytime at a shop and see how they compare really.

What's the highest and lowest magnifications you put through your scope JimmyC?

Without the maths, i don't know what the extra light gathering capability of the 6" is over the 4", but it's fairly obvious that the 6" will show a lot more for the purposes you have said.

I'm not sure about looking through the scopes at day time in my opinion - That would be something like test driving 2 4x4's on a road and concluding from there which is the best at offroad... even though you never took them offroad.... Never mind, i guess it will give you some sort of 'scope' for your purchase (pun intended :D )

So far the highest magnification i've used is from the supplied 10mm plossl and 2x barlow (i didn't have enough budget to get some good eyepieces, so a few paydays need to elapse before i buy some good ones) so somewhere around 200x mark - The other night this gave me some incredible views of Jupiter. The views were that good, i did not even notice CA - At that magnification the view is so good you just don't think about it.

Lowest mag i've used is from the supplied 25mm, which is a modest sight. Plenty of detail and perspective with a generous field of view.

Considering i haven't had the 6" frac out for a proper observing session, the potential i see with this scope is enormous. Definitely worth considering over the 100ED.

The reason i went for the 100 is the quality in viewing.. the light weight and the way it matches the az4 mount.. a mate has the 120 on the same mount and my set up is definatly more steady.. and the 120 is a fair bit dearer and i couldnt see £500 worth of improvement in the viewing..

I agree with Caldwell14, if visual is the intended use then you are well covered by your existing telescopes. Your 200mm Newtonian would be better than the 150mm Evostar on DSOs and any 150mm Maksutov worth its salt should outclass a 150mm achromat on planets, specially at high powers. :smiley:

Thats where my knowledge and experience falls short having only used a dob and now the refractor and having no interest in imaging.. i settled on one scope thats easy to set up and gets used alot...

Its interesting you moved from a dob to a frac. Dobs are very satisfying in their views from my limited experience next to a 10".

It's a difficult decision to make between these scopes and a "test drive" will be the only surefire way of making my mind up I think as each has its plus points.

As for being covered in terms of scopes, I agree... but acquisition sydrome is a terrible habit ;)

Thats where my knowledge and experience falls short having only used a dob and now the refractor and having no interest in imaging.. i settled on one scope thats easy to set up and gets used alot...

And there is no harm in that. The best scopes are the one's we actually get to use, you have a premiere grab and go outfit my friend and no mistake.

When are you planning on getting the telescope? I ask because i have both the 200P and the 150 frac. The reason i can't give a good side-by-side comparison is that 1) there haven't been enough good viewing times and 2) i haven't collimated the 200P yet. I'm going to get round to this toward the end of the month.. So if you aren't getting them soon then i could gauge for you roughly what to expect between the 150 frac and the 200p.

When are you planning on getting the telescope? I ask because i have both the 200P and the 150 frac. The reason i can't give a good side-by-side comparison is that 1) there haven't been enough good viewing times and 2) i haven't collimated the 200P yet. I'm going to get round to this toward the end of the month.. So if you aren't getting them soon then i could gauge for you roughly what to expect between the 150 frac and the 200p.

It will indeed be the end of the month-ish. So a comparison would be amazing.

My idea behind this frac is more of a less grab and go scope which will see most use, be it in the garden or somewhere I've travelled by car for a observing sesh.

I can't use my 200pds whilst imaging, so I use my mak most for viewing, being a slow scope the views are a little disappointing at times, even with the focal reducer. Don't get me wrong, it offers superb versatility as a grab and go, just doesn't cut the mustard for something I use frequently. The 200pds doesn't come out unless I'm specifically imaging as its quite long to set it all up and align etc.

I started with an 8 inch dob.. liked it but i hated the collimation and messing about and cooling down time plus having back and leg problems it wasnt the best move ive ever made.. so i ended up with the ed100.. whereas before we would get the dob out on perfect evening the 100 gets used lot more.. so for me it was a good move.. i should have listened to the misses from the start..

I started with an 8 inch dob.. liked it but i hated the collimation and messing about and cooling down time plus having back and leg problems it wasnt the best move ive ever made.. so i ended up with the ed100.. whereas before we would get the dob out on perfect evening the 100 gets used lot more.. so for me it was a good move.. i should have listened to the misses from the start..

For god's sake don't tell her that, she'll never let you forget it.

If it will be grab and go, don't forget, it is a big boy. See my thread in the astro lounge "it's here" - I posted a few pictures up and one with my brother standing next to it for a sense of scale. It is heavy, will need a beefy mount and some time to cool etc. However once it's set up it really is lovely to look through - Easier than a newt as you can move the diagonal to suit.

I have used the 200P once but as it wasn't collimated and the sky was terrible, i don't feel a comparison of both would justify them. Hopefully I'll get round to getting it collimated soon, and hopefully shortly after will be clear skies so i can get both scopes out in one night!

This site has no rating

Archived