Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tree house observatory

x6gas

Having parked my car under a lime tree, I soon learned that it is the worse thing for sticky sap droplets landing on the car, the subsequent hardened layer of sap and airborne dust and dirt being ridiculously hard to wash off without putting fine scratches all over the paintwork.

Would be even worse if that was the front end optics of a costly scope. Seriously, don't be anywhere near those trees with your scope, its asking for trouble.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it !

But that prob is already covered, ref. banisters & balustrades :)

especially as he will not be up and down in the night,

dusk and dawn is all that is needed ;) ;)

A double mattress _inside_ the treehouse observatory might be a good idea for cloudy nights, cos it is probable that he will soon be banned from the matrimonial bedroom !

As someone who hosts a robotic observatory I can only describe this as optimistic!

:grin: lly

Well for what it's worth I think it is a great idea! Sure, there will be teething problems but I think it may be doable.

The tree would have to be significantly pruned and the trusses would have to be substantial but let's face it; you aren't going to be imaging in the wind are you?

Would love to see this in progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may - emphasize may - build a platform (which I think I can do without damaging the tree at all) just for the fun of it.  As has been said, might be OK for a bit of observational with binos or some meteor watching.

Moving house or renting a bit of field from the local farmer seem like the most sensible options for an AP observatory though - I basically live in the middle of a wood so not conducive to astronomy!

x6gas, check out a program on animal planet I think it's on called 'treehouse masters'. Those guys are putting up some amazing tree houses and they show you the whole thing from start to finish. I'm guessing we must have companies over here that can do the same..

Archived