NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crayford bearing removal

Stu

I'm trying to remove and find a replacement for a bearing on my Astrotech Crayford focuser, largely so I can sell it on now I have a Moonlite on it.

I can't seem to work out how to remove the bearing without damaging the screw head slot. Am I doing something stupid? The slot head is very narrow so I may need to get a different screw driver to fit it properly.

Any suggestions welcome, also regarding sourcing a replacement.

ebyhesyt.jpg

yna7eha6.jpg

tena9y6a.jpg

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may have thread lock on it. It looks like you have tried to shift it already. Try holding a hairdryer on it to apply some heat, that may break the seal. By the looks of it there is nothing that the heat will damage. Use the hairdryer rather than anything with a naked flame.

Ian

Thanks both. Yes, guilty in terms of trying to shift it already....

Will try to get hold of a more suitable screw driver and borrow Mrs Maksutov's hair dryer when she's not looking :-)

Any thoughts on a replacement?

Stu

Sorted!

So, a combination of incompetence and lack of knowledge was holding me back!!

Firstly, I found some locking grub screws at the side which I removed. I applied heat as suggested but still no luck.

Finally, and this may have been obvious but wasn't to me, I tried turning them the other way ie as if I were tightening them clockwise and bingo, they released and came out. I had assumed that they were held in from behind, but actually they unscrew out of the other side, hope that makes sense?

Anyway, the bearings all seem fine, so it just seems to be a matter of getting the tightness right when putting them back.

ypehebeg.jpg

Success finally, thanks both.

Cheers,

Stu

Archived