NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi everbody

pyrasanth

Hi,

You will get a lot of practise geting stuff past the wife with a hobby like this, I became an expert when I was buying my music kit a few years ago.

Just like you I am waiting for some new kit after letting the hobby lapse somewhat over the last few years. Ijust hope we can both get some good viewing from here in Birmingham.

Dave.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pyrasanth and welcome to SGL.

:laugh2:' I don't remember hearing the bit about 'the wife has control of the CASH' in the marriage vows... perhaps it was in the instruction manual that comes with them... dunno! like most blokes I never read mine... let alone any small print :grin:  :eek:

Anyway... enjoy your new scope.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Thanks for the really warm welcome. It is much appreciated.

On Saturday & Sunday I did the "Man Job" of sorting out the garage (under wife supervision). I found my old observing log when I had the Dynamax with most entries dating back to 1978 (yes as far back as that). There were glorious memories of M57, M13 & M11. This sounds strange but I like M11 more than any other cluster. It was simply magical on nights of good seeing.

The original telescope was located in a back garden in light polluted Birmingham but I still had some great seeing of the brighter Messier objects & despite the telescope being overall not very friendly I fondly remember the adventures we had together & that old observation log just seems to cement the memories. I might extract some of the log information & publish it as it might be of benefit to somebody taking there first adventures with a similar sized 8" scope. What do you think about publishing the log entries?- beneficial or just plain reminiscence?  

I found loads of books as well examples being Burnham's celestial handbook collection & the Astronomers Handbook- all old pre 1980 versions!

This is going to be a fun adventure.

Clear Skies to you all.

Archived