NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Almost perfect

jason.p

Sounds good Jason, cloudy here.

What did you see?

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M65, 66. Didn't find NGC 3628. Looked for those NGCs around Leo's mane, couldn't see anything. M97(owl neb).

NGC2841, a nice little spiral gal in ursa maj.

Beehive. The Auriga clusters. Orion neb.

Split Castor, Polaris, Mizar. Tried Rigel, but it was too far over my Western horizon (also had a look a Sirius...no chance!!)

Just couldn't find M81,2. That's the second time out I've failed.

Finished up on Jupiter. Well you just have to don't you!

Not daunted by failures, I know they're still up there!

Split Castor, Polaris, Mizar. Tried Rigel, but it was to far over my West horizon (also tried Sirius...no chance!!).

Just could not find M81,2

Looks like a fairly successful night to me! Sometimes the skies just aren't up to spotting galaxies, they can be very tricky with low surface brightness.

Do you have a good star hop to M81/82? Helps to know you are in exactly the right spot. Took me years to find them!

Stu

I am so jealous. I got my new scope and mount at the start of the month. Now several weeks later it has been out just once ; (

I have just one good night, and that was last Sunday when I came back late, shattered from a martial arts grading and had to get up at 05:30 for work...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Looks like a fairly successful night to me! Sometimes the skies just aren't up to spotting galaxies, they can be very tricky with low surface brightness.

Do you have a good star hop to M81/82? Helps to know you are in exactly the right spot. Took me years to find them!

Stu

For M81,2 I go across from Phecda to Dubhe then about an equal distance along that line and up a bit.

I scan around with the 26mm. I have seen them before with the TAL and the 200p. I think that being nearly directly overhead the position is a bit awkward and I'm giving up too quickly. I'd be interested if there's a diiferent star hop.

Jason

Let us know how you get on. I think it gets you closer, more accurately than the method you have been using so should help you find them. I can find them quite easily with binos even under poor skies.

Good luck!

Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

My first crack at M81 and M82 since these posts. I used the "hop" as recommended and despite not finding all the elements described, got myself in the right area and found them almost straight away, beautifully framed in the 26mm. They seem so bright, I really don't know how I had missed them!

I spent quite a while on M82 at x200 and persuaded myself that I could make out a small bright point of light where the SN should be. Could this still be it?, or is it just wishful thinking!

I then moved over to Leo and found the trio, and this time got NGC3628 eventually with a bit of averted vision.

Finished up checking out a few doubles, Jupiter and another good Mars. All in all a very satisfying session.

Thanks to all for help.

Ended up staying at home and dragged the scope out instead. Did a reading of the area with the SQM and was surprised at the results.

Had a real galaxy-fest last night - what an excellent time of year to be out observing!

All in all, an excellent night. :)

Archived