NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Safety check

DRT

Apologies if this seems like stupid questions but I have decided to try solar observing and just want to check that I am set to go before pointing stuff and my eyes at the Sun.

I have a CPC1100 and have bought an AstroZap Baader Solar Filter and a 1.25" Baader Solar Continuum filter and plan to use both. I also have a number of 2" eyepieces but do not have a 2" Continuum filter.

Does the Continuum filter provide added protection or is it purely a means of enhancing the image? I am trying to work out whether I should buy the 2" filter or would I be safe using 2" eyepieces without one provided I have the AstroZap on the scope?

The Continuum is purely to increase the contrast and enhance the detail visible , nothing safety related so fear not ...  :smiley:

Try your 2" UHC or OIII filters with the 2" EPs first , I find they work a treat , I use an OIII for my imaging ...  :laugh:

My suggestion is to use Baader solar filter over the objective end.

There is too much light (& therefore heat) gathering power whcih could damage the OTA and concentrate heat on the EP if used without

By using a solar filter over the objectuve end you eliminate this.

You will be safe enough with just the solar filter. The continuum does enhance the contrast but turns the sun green, and when combined with a polariser to control the brightness, it makes for more comfortable viewing.

There is too much light (& therefore heat) gathering power whcih could damage the OTA and concentrate heat on the EP if used without

By using a solar filter over the objectuve end you eliminate this.

The Astrozap filter he has is a full aperture front fitting filter made with Baader film ...  :smiley:

And have a quick check over of the mask for any holes.

Have fun with the solar observing, it really is something to see a sunspot up close :laugh:  For me there's something extra special about getting to know an object that is part of our daily lives that bit closer, seeing it in a new light :cool:

Thanks guys.

Yes, that is what I intend to do at all times. My question was really about any added protection that might be required at the eyepiece end but from what has been posted above it looks like I'm good to go :cool:

Don't forget to protect your forehead from sunburn, a hat is pretty useful :laugh:

You don't want to go to work looking like you have been arc welding without wearing a mask :grin:

Archived