Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

About to buy - but what other bits?

So I'm almost ready to buy my first scope. I'm getting the 150P-DS EQ5 PRO GOTO from FLO, but I'm wondering what else I need to get. I was thinking this list:

• Extra eyepieces - the 150P-DS only comes with a 25mm, so I was considering (based on the post on here about eyepieces) a 2x Barlow and either an 8mm and 18mm BST or this kit. Which would be better?
  • Polarscope
  • T-mount for my DSLR
  • Collimator - but what type?

Is that a good starting list, or have I missed something obvious?

you wont need a polar scope its already built into the mount. a simple cheshire will do for collimation.id put he £150 towards 4BST explorers and a telrad

With a GOTO mount, would a Telrad be worth buying?

With a GOTO mount, would a Telrad be worth buying?

what happens when your batteries run out and you have no-goto................stuck! :D  good point but i just love telrads :p forget the telrad then and buy a dewshield, or powertank. youve not said how your going to power your mount

what happens when your batteries run out and you have no-goto................stuck! :D  good point but i just love telrads :p forget the telrad then and buy a dewshield, or powertank. youve not said how your going to power your mount

I haven't said how I'm going to power the mount because I hadn't thought about it  :grin:

In the back garden I can use a mains PSU, but I also plan to use it in the middle of some fields so I'm going to have to sort out a battery power pack of some description. I assume a leisure battery will do the job?

Here is my list of what I would go for:-

1x compass

1x spirit level

1x red filtered torch/flashlight or rear cycle light

Spare batteries for torch/flashlight, camera, mount, RDF

A few spare parts in case you loose some. (ie thumbscews, bolts for mount, end caps for e/p's

A few hand tools in case something needs tightening or loosening and a can of WD40.

Last of all... Jaffa Cakes (staple diet of many SGL members - myself included)!

If it was me no scope is any good unless it's colaminated you can have a 100 eps but they will be useless if the scopes not co laminated

Get the big chunky one fflo sells the Cheshire one is perfect

Also I would be looking at some form of dew,control eps,and scopes,will not work with dew,on the mirrors, a dew,shield,can be made cheaply with some glue Velcro and a black camping matt I think that the supplied eps will see you good for a couple a months ,more,time to save up whilst you learn ya way round you do need a Cheshire or some type of tool esp if you lugging the scope about or take in it for a,ride in ya car

Pat

Archived