Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWire IPhone mount control

Stu

Hello again, all.  Recieved my Skywire lightning connector  yesterday.  Have downloaded Sky Safari Pro to my I phone 5.  Plugged in and seems to work nicely straight out of the jiffy bag.  Only been able to action "indoors" as clouded out last nite for me.

Fingers crossed will work in the field or should I say, my backyard.  Nice addition to my kit.

Would anyone know if this set up will track the ISS at all ???    Could be wishful thinkin.

Clear skies John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again, all.  Recieved my Skywire lightning connector  yesterday.  Have downloaded Sky Safari Pro to my I phone 5.  Plugged in and seems to work nicely straight out of the jiffy bag.  Only been able to action "indoors" as clouded out last nite for me.

Fingers crossed will work in the field or should I say, my backyard.  Nice addition to my kit.

Would anyone know if this set up will track the ISS at all ???    Could be wishful thinkin.

Clear skies John

not as far as i am aware

• 2 weeks later...

This does seem a cool little gadget, but wondered what it actually does without sounding too stupid.

I assume It doesn't offer anything extra than the goto handset can offer, but just presented in a much nicer way on a iPhone/ipad screen with the beauty of skysafari ? But at the end of the day it's just a 'goto' interface?

How do you find using it compared to handset, worth the cost?

This does seem a cool little gadget, but wondered what it actually does without sounding too stupid.

I assume It doesn't offer anything extra than the goto handset can offer, but just presented in a much nicer way on a iPhone/ipad screen with the beauty of skysafari ? But at the end of the day it's just a 'goto' interface?

How do you find using it compared to handset, worth the cost?

Yes I agree that's what it is. I find it better than the handset. It combines a planetarium with a much better interface and object list.you can create custom lists. I for example have uploaded the Herschel 400 and working my way through them at the moment. The tonights best is more comprehensive as well.

Hello again all.  Nice bit of kit.  Totally agree with Mikes comments above.   Tonights best is a very good option.  Only used once so far but very impressed.  If your GoTo set up is slightly off, the app allows you to sync alignment with Sky Safari and you can keep doing this a few times, if you like, to calibrate the GoTo to within an inch of it's life. .  Fab.

John

• 9 months later...

Hi.

As a newbie, I wonder if anyone can tell me if I must connect the SkyWire serial connector to the end of the cable that came with my AZ-EQ6, and the other end to the handcontrol,OR must I connect the other end to the Autoguide hole on the mount itself?

Brg

Claus

Hi.

As a newbie, I wonder if anyone can tell me if I must connect the SkyWire serial connector to the end of the cable that came with my AZ-EQ6, and the other end to the handcontrol,OR must I connect the other end to the Autoguide hole on the mount itself?

Brg

Claus

yes connect the skywire to the cable that came with the hand controller

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skywire/index.html

http://www.southernstars.com/support/faq/skywire.html

Archived