Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWire IPhone mount control

Stu

I am considering getting a Skywire Lightning Serial accessory to control my Atlux with.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, not necessarily with my mount but just controlling using the iPhone?

Also, looking at pricing, the cable is $79, and shipping is $64! Any better way of sourcing these in the UK?

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wide screen centre sell them.

I stopped using the skywire as I found it restrictive with the wire and switched to sky fi instead.

It is brilliant and a show stopper at astro events with the C11 on The neq6

If you can i would strongly suggest the sky fi. If you are using an iphone it then gives the opportunity to have a battery plugged in or you could (will) run out of charge on your iphone

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G4GADGET%C2%AE-2800mah-Portable-Battery-Compatible/dp/B00EWNL3WA/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1395769039&sr=8-18&keywords=portable+charger+i+phone

if using an iPad sky safari comes into its own. The level of detail in text and planetarium is breathtaking. the tonight's best and ability to import and make custom lists is great. I downloaded the Herschel 400 and working my way through them.

Thank you. Will have a think about it. Main issue is budget at the moment. I may try the wired adapter until I work out if I'm going to use it regularly or not but I appreciate, and agree with your advice that ultimately wifi is the way to go.

Might place a wanted as for a Lightning to Serial Skywire incase anyone has upgraded to Skyfi.

Stu

If you have a laptop connected to your scope and a local wifi network you can control your scope from your iphone/ipad with sky safari using wifi scope from main sequence software. Works a treat and costs nowt!

If you have a laptop connected to your scope and a local wifi network you can control your scope from your iphone/ipad with sky safari using wifi scope from main sequence software. Works a treat and costs nowt!

Thanks Russ. If I'm honest I try to keep pc's/laptops away from my setup as much as possible. The idea of just being able to find a wider range of targets using the iPhone without too much hassle is quite appealing though.

I assume I just do a three star align using the handset and then I can use SkySafari and either Skyfi or Skywire to select targets and Goto?

Stu

I assume I just do a three star align using the handset and then I can use SkySafari and either Skyfi or Skywire to select targets and Goto?

Stu

Correct.

you can also sync on objects to compensate for any errors.

I use it always when doing visual.

Hi Stu.  May i ask if you got any further re the Skywire.   i am thinking the same for my NEQ6.  However - I run a I Phone 5.    Rang the Widescreen centre this morning  to see if the updated "lightning" cable is available from them as yet.  Is on the Southern stars website.  Informed to call back on Tuesday for an update.  

Dilemma now.   Do i risk buying the I phone 4 version cable and an adaptor to run on my "5" for now,  with the option of buying a 1st Gen  i Pad, to use in due course.

OR  wait for the I Phone 5 cable.  Is it much nicer running the Sky Safari software on an i pad than an i phone. An i Pad purchase would  really only be used to run my scope.  

Regards    John

Hi John. I emailed an enquiry to Widescreen but have yet to get an answer, would be good to hear what they say.

Michael (M.Tweedy) has very kindly lent me his cable with lightning adaptor which should be arriving soon. I'll let you know how I get on with it on the iPhone 5. To me, this has always been quite manageable with SkySafari although I'm sure an iPad would be very nice. I try to keep light sources to a minimum when observing anyway.

Cheers,

Stu

Hi John. I emailed an enquiry to Widescreen but have yet to get an answer, would be good to hear what they say.

Michael (M.Tweedy) has very kindly lent me his cable with lightning adaptor which should be arriving soon. I'll let you know how I get on with it on the iPhone 5. To me, this has always been quite manageable with SkySafari although I'm sure an iPad would be very nice. I try to keep light sources to a minimum when observing anyway.

Cheers,

Stu

Must be arriving monday now :)

Hi Stu.  May i ask if you got any further re the Skywire.   i am thinking the same for my NEQ6.  However - I run a I Phone 5.    Rang the Widescreen centre this morning  to see if the updated "lightning" cable is available from them as yet.  Is on the Southern stars website.  Informed to call back on Tuesday for an update.  

Dilemma now.   Do i risk buying the I phone 4 version cable and an adaptor to run on my "5" for now,  with the option of buying a 1st Gen  i Pad, to use in due course.

OR  wait for the I Phone 5 cable.  Is it much nicer running the Sky Safari software on an i pad than an i phone. An i Pad purchase would  really only be used to run my scope.  

Regards    John

Be very careful before buying a first generation I pad to use with sky safari as i don't think it works with it.

Well I had my first go last night with the SkyWire kindly lent to me by Michael and I was really impressed!

I polar aligned fairly accurately, connected it up using the serial cable which came with the mount and did a three star align.

I started SkySafari and connected and away I went! So easy to use, just find a target and press goto! If the goto wasn't accurate after skewing to the opposite side of the sky, I just aligned on a local bright star and that sorted it.

I found it much easier than using the handset, and to be able to go through 'tonight's best' or double star targets easily made it far easier to choose a wider range of targets. I found both M63 and M64 easily which are firsts from home.

The only negatives are the brightness of the phone screen but I got that turned down pretty low. Wouldn't use it if observing faint nebulae from a dark site. Also the wire..... I now get everyone's comments about wifi being so much better. I had to be careful not to pull the lightning connector out, to be able to pop the phone in my pocket when not being used would be much easier, so I guess a SkyFi module is on the cards soon.

I do find I amazing that a 21st century modern smart phone can interface so seamlessly with a 1990's dinosaur controller! That said, the Skysensor 2000 PC is a very capable bit of kit.

Cheers,

Stu

Knew you would like it. Agree about the limitations. You now know why it is just my backup. You will LOVE the skyfi (not the price).

I am in no hurry for it back. keep hold of it until you decide to get the skyfi.

Hi Stu

I've recently switched from my S+T Sky Atlas to using my ipad mini and SkySafari for observing and like you say just switching it to Night Vision really isnt an option when at a dark site because its still way too bright but get yourself some red acetate, double it up and make a template and you'll keep your dark adaption (I find it better than red light and paper charts now) and have all that Sky Safari info at your fingertips! 

I figured that if it was good enough for the guys on Faint Fuzzies with there monster dobs and mega faint objects then its good enough for me. :)

This is the stuff I use http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubylith-style-red-masking-film-preserve-night-vision-/280622107685?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item4156618c25

post-20821-0-78617900-1396706801_thumb.j

Thanks Mike.

I do think I will look at getting the SkyFi sooner rather than later and switch to using the phone, or a iPad when I can afford one!

That film looks ideal so will invest in some of that too, many thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Stu

Archived