NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First moon pics.....anyone know the crater?

Tim

From a week or two back when the moon was just past full (3/4).

I was very surprised to actually SEE turbulence in the atmosphere while looking at the moon at high mag. Also, I have some video footage of the turbulence somewhere. Would it be heat from houses or just the air moving? was a little breezy IIRC.

Anyway, here's me first effort at a moon piccy, with Canon 400d.

moon_crater_sml.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Nice first shot TJ. I think Starflyer is right with his ID. The movement you saw was probably air turbulance which is is why a lot of lunar imagers use cameras capable of taking 5-60 FPS and 'freezing' the times of steady seeing and stacking the best frames, rather than use one shot cameras.

Nice pic, TJ! I often see turbulence on the Moon, even at relatively low magnifications. It appears to me as a shimmering on the crater edges and other fine features. I am pretty sure it is caused by the same atmospherice turbulence that makes stars twinkle. Of course, rooftops and asphalt do create local heat effects, too.

That crater sure does look like Tycho at first glance. My first clue that it wasn't would be that Tycho is fully lit by 3/4 Moon.

Thanks for the replies. Apparently I have a book somewhere that has all these details in, I'll read it one day...............

Looking back at the other pics I see that it was actually half a moon, sorry for confusing y'all!! :D

I have some more somewhere, might post them later on for a laugh......

Cheers

TJ

Archived