NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen Atlux lunar shots with iPhone

Stu

Had a good few hours this morning with the Vixen. Fed the baby at two, finished just before three and then went out until after five. The scope was already covered in ice when I went out but the optics stayed fairly clear, with gentle use of a dew strip. Note to self, yet again, wearing crocs in freezing conditions leads to numb toes ;-)

These are a few cropped shots of the moon, which cleared the rooftop just before I came in. They were taken with an iPhone up to the eyepiece, which was a 6mm BGO.

It was great just to wander along the terminator taking in all the detail. Much crisper detail visually, but these give an idea of the views. They have just been cropped and converted to tonal.

5ubutyse.jpg

zuqeqezu.jpg

dapa5a7a.jpg

duhubuja.jpg

6e9yqehu.jpg

rymuse4y.jpg

For anyone getting worried, I think this will be as sophisticated as I get with AP, although I may stick the 1000D on the Vixen at some point.

Cheers,

Stu

Congrat's on the new frack  :smiley: I spotted the vixen before Christmas and wondered  if a forum member would bag it. Your shots look nice for single images, the seeing last night did not look great here to me so I stopped in the warm  :rolleyes:  Nice capture of rupes recta on the third shot. :smiley:  

Nice shots, Stu :smiley: Today an iPhone, tomorrow a full frame Atik and EQ8 :grin: Being serious, would love to see what you get with the DSLR and Vixen. Did the Vixen come with a dual speed focuser?

I'm pleased to say the cupboard is bare in terms of budget so I am done for a good while. I'm really enjoying my new, decluttered kit. It's all working very nicely with the exception of the dob mount :-( grrrrrr

Will definitely give the DSLR a go. I just find myself very resistant to anything involving a pc but single DSLR shots should be well worth it.

The scope 'just' has an AP traveller focuser on it. It's a very smooth R&P, single speed, non rotatable but it works very well and is very solid.

ujusesuq.jpg

Stu

Congrat's on the new frack :smiley: I spotted the vixen before Christmas and wondered if a forum member would bag it. Your shots look nice for single images, the seeing last night did not look great here to me so I stopped in the warm :rolleyes: Nice capture of rupes recta on the third shot. :smiley:

Thanks Laurie.

I had a long term plan to get something like an APM 152 ED but when this came up I couldn't resist :-)

I'm really impressed with both the scope and the mount. The Atlux mount is really quick to set up, and for visual use I don't bother polar aligning accurately, just point north with the right altitude set and a three star align works beautifully. It keeps objects fairly central even at high power.

Seeing wasn't great last night but still some lovely views. I split Pi Aquilae which is a first for me, very clear despite the conditions.

Stu

Just found an iOS tiling app called Stitch Pano and gave it a whirl. I only had pairs of images with enough overlap to work but it seems good. Maybe with DSLR images I could try some mosaics.....

Amazing what these smartphones are capable of.

epapebut.jpg

uga5e3u6.jpg

....and cropped to neaten them a little...

rema8y2a.jpg

utymy9az.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived