Lens sizes/filters for best views

Hello,

I've started observing objects just about a month ago and have seen Jupiter, the moon, Orion Nebula, but that's about it.  I was wondering what would be the best eyepiece size and filter used for seeing more detail of Jupiter or am I expecting too high.  I'm using an 8" Dob and saw a white ball with a band at the top and bottom through a 10mm lens, but seems anything higher puts the planet out of focus.  Also, I use filters and seems I can't find something that really shows me anything other than the two bands and the ball of light.  Also, whats the best eyepiece needed to see the Orion Nebula as it just looks like a few stars in a cloud through my 10mm.

Thanks.

EdgeFU........Hi, an 8mm BST starguider is a nice lens to use on an 8" f/6 telescope. £49 GBP available here at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Skys-the-Limit-Astro-and-Optical/BST-Starguider-ED-/_i.html?_fsub=2568750014

To see a lot more detail and/or a bigger image(scale) you may need a bigger telescope, but the BST  will give a nice field of view and generous eye relief. That link  allows you to buy 2 or 3 lenses and try them side-by-side, to see what you favour, returning the ones you don't like, in-return for a full refund ( you pay return p&p in UK), speak with Alan, his details should be there on the site.

Your telescope also needs to be properly set up. Mirrors aligned (collimated). As for Orion I find the longer focal length eyepieces work better. I assume you  have a 25mm EP, try that. Surprisingly nebula and galaxies need very low power and wide angle to see them at their best, and if you can view from a really dark site, the better you will see these objects in all there glory.

As you can see in my signature, I have a 32mm 2" Skywatcher Panaview for my widest EP and a full set of BST's. They work fine for my eyesight. The GSO 32mm Superview was another EP I was intending to get. Thats great value too.

A good power to be aiming for with Jupiter is around x150 to x180. More than this can tend to wash out the detail.

Make sure your scope is cooled properly (maybe 30 to 45 mins, depending on where it is stored), and collimated well. This will help to resolve the planetary detail.

Observe Jupiter when it is nice and high in the sky to minimise the amount of atmosphere you are looking through, and finally, spend plenty of time looking. It can take half an hour of careful observing to see all the detail, and to catch moments of clear seeing.

I find a Baader Neodymium filter good for helping contrast on Jupiter.

Cheers,

Stu

+1 for all of the above.

Re-filters. The blue ones seem to help a bit. My ES UHC does bring out a little more detail but looking at a bright green Jupiter doesn't seem right.

Jupiter is just too bright for its own good. After, steady atmosphere, the biggest gain seems to be about taking the glare off. Perversely, a lot of moon light or v. Light cloud seems to help.

Paul

Archived