Clouds over Elysium ?

John

I've been getting some great views of Mars tonight with my 12" dob at 265x and 318x. On the area of the disk that I believe is Elysium there has been a prominent pale patch which has gradually moved towards the west, I assume as the planet rotates. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has observed this feature. I'm wondering if this noticeable paler area is surface colour variation or perhaps clouds over the Elysium area ?

Would it be this little white blob that Jake just posted in the sort of middle bit ?

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211926-mars-2303-from-bembridge/#entry2265380

seems in the right sort of area, had some good seeing myself on and off.  Swear I coud see the ice caps easily too on the north and south sides some clearly white patches , or whatever they are ( certainly bright and white. could be clouds ?  ) but I am still trying to get familiar with Mars so not sure what things are supposed to look like wen it is a polar cap or not, but that post by Jake is a good reference and my map below form the mars applet I use to try and rationalise  what I saw.

In any case some good surface detail in moments of good seeing and the blueish areas Syrtis major clearly visible. A colourful show indeed and good session  :smiley:

post-30537-0-97893100-1395544129_thumb.p

I use the Sky & Telescope applet but I could not see a distinctly pale area on the applet map in the place that I saw it on Mars. Jake's nice image shows just what I saw in that region though  :smiley:

The N polar cap was visible but it's pretty small and indistinct at the moment. Syrtis Major and the bright region of Hellas had come well onto the visible disk by the end of my session on the planet tonight. I could also see the gap between the Mare Cimmarium and the Mare Tyrrhenum where Syrtis Minor is marked on the applet map. To the N of Syrtis Major the dark mass of Utopia was clear and I think I glimpsed the dark mark of the Nodus Akyonius on and off.

As you say, a good session  :smiley:

Just got back in from a quick session on Mars. Air is really wobbly out there, and Mars doesn't seem to be getting better despite getting higher. However, I did get some brief moments of better seeing. Tried a few different eps and the best results I had were with the 7mm BGO (x185) and using a TAL15mm Kelner in a televue x2.5 powermate (x216). These seemed to give the best contrast between size and detail. Anyway, after 20 mins getting my eye-in, I could see the north polar cap easily enough almost seaprated from th rest of the disc by a greyish/darkish ring...Utopia, maybe? Also a bigger brightish area to the right side of the disc...maybe part of Elysium? Seemed to be a lighter area to the left hand side too, separated by some darker patches - not really sure what was going on there, might have been seing part of Syrtis (the darker stuff). Really don't know my Martian geopgraphy as yet... :). Could the bright patch I saw at the south be Hellas rather than an icecap?

Still, despite the conditions, I had a lot of fun. I think I'm getting more out of Mars each time I go out. I seem to need a minimum of 20 mins to get anything though, and clearly the longer the better - I was only really beginning to separate things after about 30 mins. Gave up after 45 mins - getting too cold!

I found the seeing pretty ropey in general with occasional moments of clarity this evening.  I was definitely getting some sort of pale patch appearing in the centre of the disc at around midnight judging by the previews of the data from the camera, but tomorrow will tell what I have that's useful, if anything.

James

At about 12.15 , Mars climbed high enough to stop wobbling. The disc resolved into lots of fine detail and I was there for an hour with stunning views. The poles in the diagonal were aligned left and right. Both had dark areas, The dark Mares being very wide. The surface had several thin dark areas , but it was so delicate I had a job to tease out further details.

The seeing was superb . I closed down the frac aperture to 4", used a 5.5mm Meade 5000 in a x2 Vixen Barlow and a 25 A filter. This gave better results than the 23A.

I tried a range of eps to get the most pleasing view, above x200 works.

It was a most stunning close up view. Keeping both eyes open when observing and being dark , Mars gave the illusion of floating in front of me, close enough to grab !

Nick.

Sounds lovely, Nick. I maybe came in too early then! I'll try again tonight (weather permitting) as I can get into work a bit later tomorrow. Going to get the 150mm out tonight, so hoping I can get more detail with that, but its is ntersting that you masked down to 4" . Did you do that to push the magnification and did it help with contrast - I'd have thought you'd lose detail (hence me wondering whether to use the 6" tonight instead of my 4")?

James, what camera/scope set-up do you use to collect your data? I've been playing with a DFK21au04 stuck in the end of my 4" f13, without a great deal of success it has to be said (my lack of knowledge doesn' t help :)) - I tend to get a wobbly blob! 

James, what camera/scope set-up do you use to collect your data? I've been playing with a DFK21au04 stuck in the end of my 4" f13, without a great deal of success it has to be said (my lack of knowledge doesn' t help :)) - I tend to get a wobbly blob! 

I started with a 127 Mak and SPC900 and various barlows/extensions, then moved on to an ASI120MC, then a C9.25 and now I'm trying to get my head around an ASI120MM with LRGB filters as well.  "Wobbly blob" is not a situation I'm unfamiliar with, I have to admit.  It's not always the end of the world however.

James

Sounds lovely, Nick. I maybe came in too early then! I'll try again tonight (weather permitting) as I can get into work a bit later tomorrow. Going to get the 150mm out tonight, so hoping I can get more detail with that, but its is ntersting that you masked down to 4" . Did you do that to push the magnification and did it help with contrast - I'd have thought you'd lose detail (hence me wondering whether to use the 6" tonight instead of my 4")?

It's really a little task of trying everything that you can. Sometimes even a thin. Layer of cloud can be a help. Different eyepieces throw different results, a lot depends on your eyesight preferences. I found that a wooly hat. Pulled down over the non seeing eye which is kept open greatly helps with perception and relaxation at the focuser. I'd wait to get Mars as high as you can, there's plenty folk with their heating on full belt shaking the air.

The next few nights are rubbish here, but it's definately a worthwhile target,

Nick.

I played around with my 12" dob last night and tried a 4" off axis mask on Mars. I seemed to loose a lot of contrast, brightness and resolution so I quickly switched back to full aperture and enjoyed the hi resolution and much more colourful views of the red planet :smiley:

From now on I think I'll get my Vixen ED102 out when I want 4" of aperture !

The seeing seemed to have settled by around 1:30 am this morning although 300x plus was not as useful as it had been the previous night so I stuck to 265x. 

I think I've concluded that the brighter spot is actually a lighter surface area in the vicinity of the Elysium framed by a couple of darker features. Syrtis Major was starting to show around the limb of the planet when I packed in. I believe Hellas is to the south of Syrtis Major and thats a bright area as well.

One feature that Mars shares with Jupiter is that the more you observe it, the more detail it gradually reveals. It can be largely featureless at first glance but it really repays study over time  :smiley:

Good views of the red one today and yesterday morning. With showers forecast I have not set up the SCT and mount but tried yesterday with the 100mm refractor and this morning with the Dob.

The seeing was probably better yesterday but today I had more aperture.

I did a quick record sketch yesterday and it agreed well with the S&T Mars map and my Starry Night program. Syrtis Major prominent and joining up with one of the two darker regions that circle each pole. The Hellas region (as others have noted) looks bright and can be mistaken for a polar cap.

Red filter helped with contrast but I do prefer the 'naked' view with its characteristic pale salmon pink colour and the contrasting greeny-black dark areas.

I have never had much joy with Mars in the past (probably lack of time) but I am really enjoying this apparition and managing to tease out some nice views. The advice in my favourite book - The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, is spot on in recommending that you 'get your eye in' in the run up to opposition and I find that I am gradually getting more out of it. There is real feeling of seeing another world out there in space.

The planets are still my first love!

Kerry

Archived