Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Link laptop to nikon d5100

traceh

You cannot do it without buying software from Nikon , costs around £200 , it's the equivalent of Canon's EOSUtilities software that Canon supply FREE with every DSLR , one very big factor in why Canon rule the roost for astrowork.

You cannot do it without buying software from Nikon , costs around £200 , it's the equivalent of Canon's EOSUtilities software that Canon supply FREE with every DSLR , one very big factor in why Canon rule the roost for astrowork.

Absolute Rubbish ! http://nikonrumors.com/2013/05/11/free-open-source-tethering-software-for-nikon-dslr-cameras.aspx/

Plenty of free and cheap alternatives. The only reason Canons rule the roost now is their ability to take the clip in filters and the historical momentumn that's meant that most developers of astro software didn't (for good reasons historically) develop the software to include Nikons although both Maxim and Sequence Generator support Nikons just fine and the newer ones connect with the standard usb cable supplied with the camera. 

Plenty of free alternatives ... ?

All there seems to be is 'digicamcontrol' as far as I have seen , a bit of open-source software cobbled together quite recently , and this does not come close to the Canon Utilities package , let alone APT or BYEOS for Astrophotographical purposes.

If Nikon were to release the software codes like Canon did enabling APT and BYEOS to become such superb tools then I'm sure that there would be more useful software developed.

As for filters , you don't need to clip filters inside the body , there's a myriad of 2" kit about , a bigger reason for Canon's popularity is the ease with which they can be astro-modded.

Hi All,

Steve Ward posted:

If Nikon were to release the software codes like Canon did enabling APT and BYEOS to become such superb tools then I'm sure that there would be more useful software developed.

Nikon SDK files are readily available for most Nikon cameras from D70 onwards... that is not the real problem.

The biggest problem for (Astro) tethering is the fact that only the later models (D600 onwards) can actually use live view when in BULB MODE.

The other problem is that only the very latest models can control the shutter via the USB interface... earlier models required either an additional DSUSB shutter control (used with DSLR Shutter software (free download)) or an infra red shutter control.

These problems are a limitation imposed by the Nikon software structure and Tethering software developers can't do much about this.

The latest V4.3 of Control my Nikon supports most Nikon cameras from D3 onwards (including te D5000, D5100, D5200),  however, like most other tethering software it can only control Live View in bulb mode if the camera model supports it.

Control My Nikon supports DSUSB Shutter release and Many other shutter release methods including sound, movement, Speech, Programmable etc.

TIP... With the camera in Manual mode, for cameras that don't support live view in Bulb, if you set the shutter speed (via USB) to something less than 30 seconds... this will give live view... zoom in on the computer live view screen and focus the telescope.

Switch back to BULB (via USB) and set the exposure time and number of exposures required on the DSUSB interval timer... press expose (capture) and the DSUSB interface will capture your frames and store them on the PC... you will also get a review of the last shot taken on the PC screen if this function is selected.

Hard drive Directory and File names can be preset with meaningfull names for subject matter, making locating the latest frames much easier when it comes to stacking etc.

A free 14 day trial (full featured) can be downloaded and the purchase price is only $29.95 USD. for use on up to 3 computers. 

http://www.controlmynikon.com

All in ALL not a bad piece of software for Nikon users.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

• Like 1

Alternatively , buy a Canon for a hassle free tether straight from the box , for free ...  :p

Yes there are workarounds for Nikon , but you must admit that it's a lot more hassle , and one thing you don't need in the dark and cold at 3am is more things to grieve over.

I am biased towards Canon obviously , but I only went down that road after extensive research and investigation before purchase , well before I was even on-line and with access to the good folk on SGL to guide me.

Had I been on-line and active here beforehand I would now be the very happy owner of two EOS1000D bodies , oh that's right I am , funny that ...  :rolleyes:

Got the nikon long before I thought about astrophotography, getting a canon is not really an option at the moment, so I'll either figure it out or just carry on with my other camera :-)

Sent from my BC1003 using Tapatalk

I have a D5100 and have successfully connected via an adapter from http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_ds.htm

You need to get the DSUSB. I can confirm that it works with MaximDL (expensive) and sequence generator pro (much cheaper and with many more advanced features like plate solving. Anyhow, get the DSUSB and you are ready to go. It essentially allows the camera to operate in bulb mode which is necessary for long exposures. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The biggest problem for (Astro) tethering is the fact that only the later models (D600 onwards) can actually use live view when in BULB MODE.

The other problem is that only the very latest models can control the shutter via the USB interface... earlier models required either an additional DSUSB shutter control (used with DSLR Shutter software (free download)) or an infra red shutter control.

I am not sure what you are talking about, live view mode? I have my D600 connected to Maxim DL 5.24 with a separate upgrade Nikon plugin. I do not use live view and I can take how many seconds long beyond 30 second limit. Btw, the D600 is a very sensitive and very suitable camera to do astrophotagraphy. I have no problems to take 7 minutes exposures with my EQ6, 8" f/4 Newtonian with round stars, guided of course but not with a OAG yet.

• 5 years later...
On 30/03/2014 at 13:28, fulatoro said:

I have a D5100 and have successfully connected via an adapter from http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_ds.htm

You need to get the DSUSB. I can confirm that it works with MaximDL (expensive) and sequence generator pro (much cheaper and with many more advanced features like plate solving. Anyhow, get the DSUSB and you are ready to go. It essentially allows the camera to operate in bulb mode which is necessary for long exposures. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hi, apart from dsusb for Nikon d5100, is there any other thing required.?