NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What camera?

Hello I wonder if any one can help.

I have just been given a Nexstar 127 and i'd like to take some photograhps through it, i know it's not gearded up for that but i was wondering which would be the better camera to use.

Either the Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm VR lens or the Canon EOS 1100D with a EF 18-55 mm DC III lens as these are the limit of my budget.

or is there another option?

Thank you.

I think that it is personal preferences, even though I've only really had Canon myself for cameras over the last 15+ years.

Yes there seems to be more software for the actual camera, but that may well be because everyone has a Canon to start with, so don't rule out a Nikon, see what software people use for their Canon and see what the alternatives are for the Nikon.

I personally think that it's a bit like when you choose the common car, Ford or Vauxhall.

At the end of the day a camera is just a lightbox with features. What features are available and if / how you can use them is down to the choice.

Definitely go for a Canon then you can use Backyard EOS (BYE) a brilliant bit of capture software to use with your camera. 

If you get just a Canon body you would be surprised what you can get for your money - I got a Canon 550d body with only 1000 exposures done for £200 from London Camera Exchange and it came with a guarantee and a service.

I have also heard that Nikons can "eat" stars - but not able to substantiate that.

Peter

glad to help

this is what you would need

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html

this mounts to camera just like a lens ,then screws into back of your telescope,the telescope then acts as your lens

just set camera dial to "M" and use it in manual mode

(not sure of level of understanding so hope you don't take offense if you think i'm explaining it a bit too simple)

Forget thinking about the camera just yet.

What are you trying to image? if its DSO then you mount is totally unsuitable.

If planetary or close-in Lunar, then a simple webcam with a bit of modification will suit.

Do a search on here...there's hundreds of similar threads all asking the same question.

I think that it is personal preferences, even though I've only really had Canon myself for cameras over the last 15+ years.

Yes there seems to be more software for the actual camera, but that may well be because everyone has a Canon to start with, so don't rule out a Nikon, see what software people use for their Canon and see what the alternatives are for the Nikon.

I personally think that it's a bit like when you choose the common car, Ford or Vauxhall.

At the end of the day a camera is just a lightbox with features. What features are available and if / how you can use them is down to the choice.

nikon has virtually no support as far as software goes,esp for astrophotography

(i own a nikon 3100 btw)

Hello I wonder if any one can help.

I have just been given a Nexstar 127 and i'd like to take some photograhps through it, i know it's not gearded up for that but i was wondering which would be the better camera to use.

Either the Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm VR lens or the Canon EOS 1100D with a EF 18-55 mm DC III lens as these are the limit of my budget.

or is there another option?

Thank you.

You would generally not need a lens, so either Camera should work?  Adaptor and T-Adaptor rings connect your camera directly to the telescope, used in manual mode , due to no electrical connectivity to the lens (camera wont work unless using manual mode, as it cant detect a lens) The telescope becomes the camera lens. As to software support, I cant help much there. Have you tried to just hold your mobile phone camera up to the telescope eyepiece. You'll need to be quick as at high magnifications, and the Earth's rotation, your target wont stay still.

Archived