NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Mk II Coma Corrector - major traumas

Dave_D

So, after an unfortunate mishap including a cup of orange cordial, a child repeatedly told not to take drinks upstairs and mess in places they shouldn't be messing,  and a Baader Mk II coma corrector (yes, it really happened), I set about cleaning the afflicted item. Dismantled and laid out in order, cleaned to perfection and ready for reassembly, and then the second trauma hit, and hit hard.

Telephone rang so i gets up to answer it, finished the call and went back only to find said child holding the lenses up looking at only the gods know what... so yeah, does anyone know which way  the two lenses are orientated? i bet my cries of anguish could be heard on Mars  :eek:

Now i guess it would be simple enough to star test and just swap the lenses round till they're right, but that's a royal pain and a waste of observing time (something in very short supply at the moment).

Haven't found a schematic online either.  :sad:

If the components are similar to that of an achromat then the biconvex lens would be nearest the sky with its least curved surface outwards. the plano or nearly plano face of the second component should be facing the camera. If none of this applies, a description of the components would be helpful.   :smiley: 

ok, today is definitely a bad day... it's a Mk III not a Mk II

the two lenses are one that looks like a Mak meniscus and a biconvex which appears to be slightly greater curvature on one side, with a thin separator between the two.

think i managed to sort it out... top left quadrant of a single 60s sub from last night, just for testing and fixing the coma corrector as there was a load of than nasty wispy stuff about.

ccfixed_zpsdc9132e9.png

• 2 weeks later...

so it's been 11 days since i emailed Baader and so far haven't received a reply (the fact i sorted the CC myself is immaterial). they might make good kit bit their customer service and support suck.

Archived