NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A major “discovery" primordial stochastic gravitational waves.

Laurie61

Just received this with link to press conference  - 

A major “discovery" or “bound" will be announced regarding first ever detection of primordial stochastic gravitational waves from BICEP-2 CMB telescope. Kindly find

> the details below.

Dear friends and colleagues,

>

> We invite you to join us tomorrow *(Monday, 17 March)* for a special

> webcast presenting the first results from the BICEP2 CMB telescope.  The

> webcast will begin with a presentation for scientists 10:45-11:30 EDT,

> followed by a news conference 12:00-1:00 EDT.

>

> You can join the webcast from the link at

>      http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/news_conferences.html

>

> Papers and data products will be available at 10:45 EDT from

>      http://bicepkeck.org

:smiley:

It does look as if they have a genuine discovery  :smiley:

From the link above -

Scientists say they have extraordinary new evidence to support a Big Bang Theory for the origin of the Universe.

Researchers believe they have found the signal left in the sky by the super-rapid expansion of space that must have occurred just fractions of a second after everything came into being.

It takes the form of a distinctive twist in the oldest light detectable with telescopes.

The work will be scrutinised carefully, but already there is talk of a Nobel.

"This is spectacular," commented Prof Marc Kamionkowski, from Johns Hopkins University.

"I've seen the research; the arguments are persuasive, and the scientists involved are among the most careful and conservative people I know," he told BBC News.

The breakthrough was announced by an American team working on a project known as BICEP2.

I was particularly interested in the statement that this is consistent with grand unified theory and thus rules out more exotic models. Perhaps this will lead to advances in the quest for a theory of everything.

If these results are confirmed then I agree a Nobel prize is a certainty. This really is a huge discovery.

The deeper we look, the deeper the mystery gets.

We appear to exist due to an unimaginable large 'thing' we call the universe, which itself came into being by expanding at a collosal rate from an unimaginable small 'thing', of which we have absolutely no idea about.

You couldn't make it any stranger if you tried lol. Just how weird is it going to get?

Archived