NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M36 & M38

C7tsj

Managed to find both these last night and pretty chuffed. Found M36 almost straight away but M38 eluded me for about 20 mins. Didn't appreciate that M38 seems to be spread over a larger area therefore I was basically missing it.

Added complication was the fact I had forgotten to remove my blue filter from the EP. D'oh! Classic schoolboy error. Couldn't work out why the EP wasn't picking up much light then the penny dropped......

Overall really happy with these and I think sure I will return to them soon.

Easy way to find these is to look at Auriga as a kite shape , then get half way along the longest side for M38. Then down for M36 and down and over for M37. They are visible in binoculars.

I like M37, don't forget to keep going to get M35 at the foot of Gemini. NGC 2281 and NGC 1664 provide fine cluster views in Auriga,

Nick.

Great clusters and sure to keep you coming back for more! M36 is the brightest to my eye and M38 the dimmest. I like the Cheshire cat asterism which puts M38 on the right corner of the smiling cat! There are loads of lesser known targets in the area like NGC1907 a small cluster under the cats right eye, so worth having a browse around this area.

Archived