Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO List - Non Messier

I did do a quick search before posting and couldn't see any links to this one. So apologies if I am duplicating.

If, like me, you find the 8,000(ish) object NGC list a bit daunting. These nice gentlemen in The US have jotted down their favourite 100 objects. 3 or 4 of them are a bit too far south to be seen from the UK but the rest look hopeful.

I was beginning to wonder about life beyond the Messiers. None of the other lists have captured my enthusiasm and I really don't have the experience to productively go freestyle just yet.

http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/BEST-OBJECTS-IN-THE-NEW-GENERAL-CATALOG.htm#NGC7209

Hope that this is of interest.

Paul

Thanks for the list,always nice to have a another source of things to look for. :smiley:

The other way I have often gone about observing is to pick an area in the sky that is favourably set high in the sky and as much away from light pollution, for me this is south to east at home.  In this way I've ticked up just random NGCs here and there.  Caldwell are also well worth it as the next to do list. A lot of the time they are not more tricky to find than the Messsier objects, and I hasten to add, just as impressive. :smiley:

The Herschel 400 is quite good, some are duplicates of messier but not many, the Caldwell list, also Stephen o'meara has written a couple books called "The secret deep" and "hidden treasures" both contain 109 objects.

Thanks - I'll look out for the books.

Strange how so many lists seem to contain 100 to 110 items. Just enough to be proper lists but not too many to put people off??

Paul

I like both the Caldwell and the Herschel 400 lists (and am even logging my inroads into the Herschel 2500), but the Collinder, Melotte, and Trumpler lists contain some nice objects, as does the "Brightest 100 Planetary Nebulae" list. For galaxy buffs the Revised Shapley-Ames Catalogue is a great resource. I have a print version, found online for $18 (plus $17 shipping or so).

The RASC Finest NGC's are all visible in the UK, no Messier duplicates and has got all the stand out objects in it before you go onto some of the fainter objects in the Herschel list.

I cant wait to start it properly, visually I've now see all the Messiers but I set a project to sketch them a couple years ago and I'm determined to see it through. :)

The RASC Finest NGC's are all visible in the UK, no Messier duplicates and has got all the stand out objects in it before you go onto some of the fainter objects in the Herschel list.

I cant wait to start it properly, visually I've now see all the Messiers but I set a project to sketch them a couple years ago and I'm determined to see it through. :)

Bookmarked mike. I keep that aside for when I get a bigger scope.

The RASC Finest NGC's are all visible in the UK, no Messier duplicates and has got all the stand out objects in it before you go onto some of the fainter objects in the Herschel list.

Mike

This Looks great. Particularly the maps.

Thanks

Paul

Archived