Flocking materal vs paint

cowbell

can't help myself...beneficial...

I flocked my scope with fabric, short haired dark black car upholstery..

works surprisingly well..(as in..it looks much darker).

But a good dark flat black paint would work equally well..

That said...flocking (or baffling) only works when you have light pollution or

something intrusive of similar nature..

Personally I can't see any difference..

But it was fun to do..

can't help myself...beneficial...

I flocked my scope with fabric, short haired dark black car upholstery..

works surprisingly well..(as in..it looks much darker).

But a good dark flat black paint would work equally well..

That said...flocking (or baffling) only works when you have light pollution or

something intrusive of similar nature..

Personally I can't see any difference..

But it was fun to do..

I have a 1 meter tube so I was thinking painting maybe easier to reach up the tube; I would have to paint the baffle anyway half way up.

Also dew and temperature variations may cause the flock to start peeling off?

There's paint and there's paint. SBIG, the CCD camera makers, released a paper pointing out that paints using dyes rather than pigments are remarkably reflective in the infra red, although the eye cannot see this. If you have any photographic intentions you should use either a heat proof barbecue/stove matt black which will use pigments, or use flocking instead. I've used flocking successfully. It was sourced from a graphics outlet and was designed as a reflection killer. I'd consider that the safer bet.

Olly

I would say material is much better basically because it's uneven surface area guarantees less light scatter.material also insulates the tube so helps with dew.pain can be good but it chips/wears off easier and isn't as good.

Interesting, so... how often will flocking material need to be replaced?  is it a hairy material or matt flat?

Interesting, so... how often will flocking material need to be replaced?  is it a hairy material or matt flat?

Replaced? .. never .. I hope!

It's tends to be made form short fibers stuck onto a backing material. Feels very velvity to the touch.

It's tends to be made form short fibers stuck onto a backing material. Feels very velvity to the touch.

So kind of like the soft side of velcro?

Im guessing this  will need replacing due to the fibers flatenning or molting off?

Flocking material would be the best solution, easy to apply with care. Has a small additional advantage, often mentioned on here, in helping to prevent moisture running onto the mirrors.

Good thing I dont have mirrors :)

Since the tube is long, I would apply material in smaller sections to make it easier, would it be better to have it overlapped in effect having micro baffles or just mosaiced edge to edge?

Flocking material would be the best solution, easy to apply with care. Has a small additional advantage, often mentioned on here, in helping to prevent moisture running onto the mirrors.

Good point. 

Just try to keep it out of extreme heat. I've seen professionally applied flocking fall off a very expensive Italian scope's dewsheild in the heat.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

flocking material does work better for the intended purpose compared to any kind of paint....dedicated flocking for telescopes is out there in a variety of fashion....some easier to install <tube liners>than others<adhesive rolls or squares>...it is a little on the expensive side compared to ordinary velvet fabric available at sewing shops.....the velvet fabric is measurably better to stop reflections compared to proprietary scope flocking......felt is not recommended because it sheds heavily....properly installed flocking or velvet is pretty permanent<contact cement on both surfaces>....installing it can be a royal PITA....

ok, so that's all..  ; )

Archived