NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

lets focus on Ha

Evening everyone.

Just a quickie, as Ha is very faint whats the best/easiest way to gain good focus ?

I Artemis i would normally do a 4 sec looped sub but with Ha it is not so easy & seems to take ages.

Any thoughts or tips please.

Yep, I do it the same way as Carole and Rob. On my last alignment star I do my focusing (tighten up and recheck) and then slew to the target remembering to remove focus mask of course (not that I' not remembered of course) and then image away. 

Thanks for the replies, what i should have added, my fault, is that if i want to do L & Ha on the same night i normally do L first & then Ha, but changing the filter wheel selection to Ha after the L really means i don't want to be moving the scope to a brighter star just to focus as it would then mean re framing again, i guess it makes sense to shoot Ha 1st instead.

Reframing only takes a minute, and making sure that your focus is perfect is critical. I have to reframe, but will still check focus on a nearby star when changing between broadband and NB filters. There's nothing worse than having a run of subs that are all slightly out of focus.

If you re-synch your mount (whether planetarium or handset) on your target as framed, over-writing the original 'correct' synch) it should go back to pretty much the same space after a short slew to and from a star.

We have this on the Astrodon 3Nm. Anything much less than Sirius tends to be darned nearly invisible!!! I'd try to focus on a star at a similar elevation to the target, ideally.

Olly

Nice one Olly exactly what i was after, so when i frame the target i can select Synch on the HC & it stores that info, then if i slew away then select the same target again it will goto the 'newly synched' target & position (just so i am clear).

Didn't even think about using that feature, learn something new every day.

Nice one Olly exactly what i was after, so when i frame the target i can select Synch on the HC & it stores that info, then if i slew away then select the same target again it will goto the 'newly synched' target & position (just so i am clear).

Didn't even think about using that feature, learn something new every day.

You have it, I think.

Olly

If you use AstroTortilla and SAVE an image from that location you can slew away and do what you need to with focusing and return to exactly the same place, within a few pixels.  Just don't rotate the camera, which you should not need to do anyway.

Seriously, I would check out AT if I were you.  I don't know what I would do without it.

Archived