NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Loose power cable connector

Hi all

I recently bought a Celestron SkyProdigy 130 telescope.  To power it, I also bought a SkyWatcher PowerTank, which came with a cigar lighter power cable.  My problem is that the connection into the 'female' connector in the telescope is loose, and falls out when the telescope mounting rotates.  

I assumed it was because the connector was not the right size, so I've just bought a Celestron cigar lighter power cable from Scopes'n'Skies.  This comes with two connectors, BOTH of which are still too loose to fit the telescope.  Has anyone had this problem and, if so, is there a solution (which doesn't involve elastic bands and paper clips, which is how I'm securing it at present :smiley:  ) !?  Incidentally, Scopes'n'Skies were excellent - agreed a refund immediately.

I'd welcome any advice.

I used to have the 6se and have the same power tank, I sold the 6se but decided to keep the power rank to run my dew heaters on my dob, I did initially have the same issue but found that if you change the setting on the hand set to stop the cord wrap this cured the issue!

Celestron are well known for this, most people recommend very carefully opening the centre prong slightly with a small flat blade, be careful not to overdo it or break it though

This is true. Celestron scopes seem to suffer with this issue. Not all (obviously), but it does seem to be a flaw in general. Apart from what Knobby has said, you could try tying the cable to the leg (any leg) of the tripod with a bit of a velcro strap. This helps keep the connectors in place.

I had this problem with my Celestron Nexstar 8SE.  I kept falling out, or losing power.  I solved it with a precision (slot) screwdriver gently pushed into the centre prong on my nexstar mount.  It spread the connector enough to get a tight fit in the female  power cord.

Dwayne

• 4 years later...

I have a Meade LX-90 and has a similar issue, the 12v connector is rubbish.

how I solved it was to create a power distribution box.  Which also allows me to power 2 dew heaters and a few other bits and pieces on the scope.  This resulted in my being able to build a short cable that runs from the box to the mount.  This cable has no stress on it and stays in place nicely.

post-46378-0-73712900-1445198186_thumb.jpg

Archived