Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from Downingtown, PA

tcalbrecht

I'm cleaning off the telescope after years of neglect. I bought a second hand Celestron Super C-8 Plus back in the late ‘80s after the Comet Halley craze subsided. I used it for many years as my children were growing up. Now the grandchildren are coming along and expressing an interest in looking though grandpa’s telescope. I also did some astrophotography using an old Olympus OM-1 body with limited success. I recently purchased a Canon 400D and I’m excited about the possibilities with moving into the digital world. I’m also looking to purchase a smaller, "grab and go" scope, probably a refractor, to use when the C-8 is too much to set up.

Thanks for all the replies.

I mentioned the grandkids, and for their "care and maintenance" I found one of the Walmart 70mm special deals locally. $19!! (Sadly, it was the last one in the store.) I set it up last night and I was really impressed with the view. Stars were pretty sharp with the 25mm eyepiece, and the color was decent. I dropped in the 26mm Plossl eyepiece from my C-8 and the view was actually very good. It also seemed fairly sharp near the edges.

I figure I can let the grandkids use this one while I’m tinkering with the C-8 setup.

Hello, Tom, and welcome aboard. If you are interested, I h\ave posted about the Cherry Springs Star Party, near Coudersport on the last weekend in May, in the Star Parties forum. It's a good time, and about a half-day's journey for you.

Hey, WH, thanks for the invite. That a beautiful and dark part of the state. Maybe I can talk the better half into hooking up the trailer to the motorcycle and heading that way for a few days.

Hey, WH, thanks for the invite. That a beautiful and dark part of the state. Maybe I can talk the better half into hooking up the trailer to the motorcycle and heading that way for a few days.

Good! If you can come, we'll arrange to hook up at the site. I camp with a half dozen friends from an American web site, and you would be more than welcome to pitch a tent with us.

Archived