NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 (second attempt now that I've worked out how to polar align!)

SJP

Hello all! I've just introduced myself over in the welcome area and thought I'd stick my toe in the water with an image post....

Having started imaging in January, this is my second attempt at M42. My initial attempts were hampered by a variety of newbie problems which I've been trying to resolve, but at the weekend I managed to get forty 60 second subs and 20 darks before the clouds rolled in.

I've always used some unusual post-processing techniques in terrestrial photography, and I've tried something a little different from what I've read about Astrophotography in this capture. I'd be interested in people's views on it (both positive and negative!) and on what I need to do to improve my technique.

Celestron C6N, Canon EOS 6D at ISO800 with a LP filter, 40x1min + 20 darks (no lights or bias). Processed in Nebulosity, Lightroom, and Photomatix.

12935313084_f3f0e8acf6_c.jpg

M42 Tonemapped by S.J.P, on Flickr

True or false colours? Who cares, its the OPs opinion on what he saw and this is the sort of thing you expect to have in some sci-fi movie.

Where are the trekkies?  :smiley:

Great job as far as I'm concerned.

Well I am a newbie on here, not even got my scope yet, but if I could produce something like that early on I would be over the moon (no pun intended)

however I would love to see it with a little less processing just to compare.

JemC

Thanks for the replies guys - I understand the comments about "false colour", but at the end of the day, what is the actual colour of these nebula? How would they look up-close? A DSLR with its filters is going to give a different image to an Astro CCD, both are correct in their own right.

I'll try winding the saturation down a little next time though, a happy medium will be my goal :)

Looking at the images again, perhaps a coma corrector wouldn't go amiss either!

Archived