Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from a CN refugee

ibase

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good to know Mike! Ahh, the insatiable appetite for an unceasing quest towar optical perfection and nirvana in an eyepiece, "half the scope" whether true or not, these oculars hold a magnetic allure, all by itself.

As for less glass is more, a frequently debated subject, am of the opinion that modern state-of-the-art coating on EP's are closing the gap with whatever less-glass EP's have an advantage over multi-lenses (5 or more lens) oculars; take the case of the two below, a BCO 6mm ortho and a TeleVue Delos 6mm:

b9b7c43384c63c2e44d7842f39a57c44.jpg

Whatever advantage one will have over the other in terms of optical prowess on-axis will be very slight at best, while the advantage of those big eye lenses that these times translate to generous & comfortable eye relief (20mm) cannot be denied. More comfortable viewing for the eyes makes for longer observing time, but do understand that for some (me included), do find the short focal length orthos ER to be adequate and not a deal breaker. As always, YMMV.

Best,

Hernando

Hello Hernando, Yes the quest for magic in an eyepiece is very addicting . And of course to each their own as its said. here are some eyepieces I have been trying on the Haas project and maybe the other folks in here might find interesting. these are double star and planetary eyepieces called ball lens elements ..so far so good with them but they have a very narrow FOV..which of course is fine with me.. 

mikepost-35640-0-92159600-1394118920_thumb.j

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome.

One maybe astronomy-related and a most memorable moment in British soil is being at the mysterious Stonehenge.

c0cc29e2899663331ee648819dc3b402.jpg

At the Stonehenge

Best,

Hernando

What's wrong with CN at the moment then?

Not working, with a note posted at the door that the system is under renovation for an upgrade. Thanks the members too, with a kinda goodbye ring to it, or maybe not.

Best,

Hernando

75 EP's lol. I only have one eyepiece that didn't come free with a scope and even that I'm considering selling as I've had it not far off a year and its been out of the box once :)

Welcome to SGL. 

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant,

I know, is there an Eyepiece Anonymous somewhere here? Lol. Rarely let any of my EP's go, maybe that's why they're so many (relatively, have seen more) .  :)

Best,

Hernando

Warm welcome to SGL, Hernando!

I've got a lot of help from your bloggs and reviews/comments on CN :smiley: .

Glad to bump into you here Yong, thanks for the warm welcome!

Glad too to be of help thru the posts at blog/forum, thanks too.

Best,

Hernando

Hello Hernando, Yes the quest for magic in an eyepiece is very addicting . And of course to each their own as its said. here are some eyepieces I have been trying on the Haas project and maybe the other folks in here might find interesting. these are double star and planetary eyepieces called ball lens elements ..so far so good with them but they have a very narrow FOV..which of course is fine with me.. 

mikeattachicon.gif1.jpg

Hi Mike, very nice oculars! Of course these are specialized EP's, I guess they're sorta an acquired taste. As for me, less than 40-deg. AFOV would probably be getting to be really restrictive, as it is now, the standard plossls (50-52 deg., which by the way will trounce the Huygens or Ramsdens of old) have been described as tunnel vision, what more of the <40 - being fine with them is a gift, and should go for it.

Best,

Hernando

Archived