Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

100° eyepieces

YKSE

It seems like more and more 100° eyepieces are heading to the market, such as

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6769_TS-Optics-XWA-9mm-100--x-treme-wide-angle-eyepiece---1-25---2-.html

and

http://www.astroshop.eu/omegon-panorama-100d-ultra-series-9mm-1-25-2-okular/p,17046#tab_bar_1_select

Depite that both brage about the big FOV, the lens designs are obvious not the same, TS' has 9 lens and Omegon with 6 lens, any more qualified guess or tests?

Should good news for observers who hunger for bigber FOV I suppose.

The first one looks the same as the William Optics 100 degree recently announced - an ES 100 in alternate clothing I reckon. The second design has been around for quite a while under a number of brandings including Zhumell, Orion (USA) and Skies the Limit sell an unbranded version.

At F/4.5 coma will be much in evidence in both but with a Coma Corrector my money would be on the TS unit rather than the Omegon.

I'm kind of interested in lens/group design. The 9 lens type seems to be of Ethos clone type, how's the 6 lens type? Can it be some kind of 6/4 as Nagler type 4 with field stop move out for bigger FOV therefore only can claim works at f5?

There's no doubt that TV EsP have the best quality even with the exact design, which we know. Othere examples are that simple design as orthos has great variaty in quality too.

Hippie,

Yes it would be nice to compare but it means either knowing someone near by or at the same club with one of each or like me having to buy one which is not likely to happen.

I wouldn't like to hold my breath on the off chance TS or the other German outlet will telephone John with an offer of a loan either.

The trouble is the Telvue and Nikon for that matter, 100 degree offerings are always going to be as good as they can be but the differences bewteen all these are not going to be massive in most scopes. In general the faster the scope the more difficult the eyepiece designers job is and the R&D work that goes into Televues eyepieces is what you are paying for. Even when we hear that it is a cloned eyepiece they are never as good so it cannot be an exact clone. In the end it all comes down to whether you are happy to pay for the small, and I stress small improvement the top brands offer. I can see that you are one such person.

Alan

Archived