NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which low light pollution security lamp?

michaelmorris

After 20 years, my 150w security light fitting at the back of the house has given up the ghost (I suspect the last straw was all the rain).  I need a replacement, but an hour on the net hasn't brought up anything.  I want a 120w/150w security lamp with no passive IR switch (or at least one that can be turned off) and excellent light shielding.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

If there is no passive IR on it then it isn't really a security light, it will not be able to detect anyone breaking into your garden. So from that point of view the idea of Security and No passive IR seem to be mutually exclusive.

As Kev says the option is to have the light on a switched socket and simply switch it off when you want to be outside.

Looked a few months back and Wickes had a selection in that were halogen and LED. Their website is not easy to track bits down on.

Firstly there is no such thing as a "security light". Lights don't deter burglars as this quote from Bob Mizon's book shows:

post-7974-0-12598700-1393842428_thumb.jp

Burglars need lights to see what they are doing and much burglary is done during the day when you are out working/shopping etc.

There are a number of lights that only point down but they are not readily available at a sensible cost. ( see link above ). As an alternative how about modifying your own light?

Here is a photo of a simple bulkhead light, that was on the wall of a cottage, throwing light everywhere:

post-7974-0-95448000-1393842639_thumb.jp

It was designed for a normal 60W bulb but here it is shown with an 11W CFL.

This next photo shows it with a temporary shield I made from card lined with cooking foil:

post-7974-0-81394900-1393842748_thumb.jp

As you can see there is less light going up and the ground is brighter even though it now has a 5W CFL fitted. The exposure in the two photos was identical so as to not bias the scene.  I subsequently made a permanent shield from thin aluminium sheet.

On this basis you would be able to get the same lighting level on the ground with an 11W CFL as you get now with your 130-150W "security" light.

Nigel

I think of them as 'insecurity lights'....

Pretty much.

Trouble is, most people have been brainwashed by certain "newspapers" (I use the term loosly) Wailing (Hint) that "We'll all be murdered in our beds" if we don't light up the night like day :mad:

This is the 'danger' with LEDs - because they are cheaper to run we will see more of them being installed!

My whole house is LED'd not any other type of light used. there are 10 lights outside, there not on when there are no clouds..:)

My whole house is LED'd not any other type of light used. there are 10 lights outside, there not on when there are no clouds.. :)

They shouldn't be on even when there are clouds. Unless you constantly watch an area then security is maximised by drawing attention to a change and that is maximised by having lights off but triggered on motion sensors / PIR. It is the change from unlit to lit that will be noticed more than movement within a lit area.

Was discussing this with my neighbour a couple of months ago. He is an electrician and he also has a security light that is triggered by his dogs. I mentioned to him about the fact that I was an astronomer and he said that his light is one of the the new led variety which have very good directional properties, so the light shines downwards and very little is lost up into the sky. My garden is still shielded by a fence and I invariably have my dewshield on as well. Most of the time the light is off unless something triggers it to come on. Most of the time my garden is pretty dark with no direct light pollution. I do suffer with the orange glow that many others do, but for the most part I do have a good clear view of the night sky. 

Archived