Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Home made pier and camera tripod style mount, suggestions wanted please.

{CP}-Brooker

Hi

I m trying to figure out the lowest tech approach to a quick grab and go outside the kitchen door. I already have a Nexstar 8SE which is great for a evenings observing but for those moments when the cloud clears :D and I can t get an "official evening off :whip2:" I want something I can mount and be using quickly. I used to use 15 x 70 binoculars, however due to a worsening eye condition I can now only use one eye for observing so it has to be a scope.

My idea is to make a homemade pier, literally a piece of wooden 3" x 3" emebdded in a heavy concrete bucket that can sit on the patio and be permanently ready to take a small refractor (currently looking at something like a Skywatcher Short tube ST102). Alternately I might just permanently install it in the corner of the flower bed.

What I can t work out, is what mechanism/bracket I have mounted to the pier that then allows me to attached the scope?? I m thinking a basic camera/tripod thread set up for speed.

Any suggestions?

Budget for scope and bracket is about £250.

Cheers

CP

CP, I'd be really interested in what you come up with. The problem I'm finding using a standard Photo head (might be cos it's old) is that tracking anything is really difficult and the head just doesn't have the fine play needed to do so. I was watching Saturn last night and it was really hard to keep it in view. So hard in fact, I was setting up the scope so that Saturn was on one side of the FOV and letting it track across before trying to shift again.

Archived