NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars! Aaargh! Synscan EQ5 handset cable replacement?

First clear sky in weeks. Decide to go for imaging Mars. Clear sky, good seeing.

Aaaargh! Synscan EQ5 GOTO handset kept cutting out - I had to give up, as it kept losing tracking. I could have cried, but then the clouds rolled in just to make sure my misery was complete

I think that the cable is faulty, but I've had it over two years (even though it hasn't been used a lot due to the weather). Does anybody know where I can source a replacement? 

I think it's an RJ45 to RJ45 connection. (I have no idea why there's a bulky black cylinder in the middle of the coiled cable).

I have another Synscan handset, but it's got a serial cable for my NEQ6.

:sad:

i bought a un-coiled 2m long RJ45 to RJ45 cable to replace mine a couple of weeks back. it came from the chain of stores "wilkinsons" and cost around £4, the "bulky black cylinder" is a Snap-on Ferrite Core supresser of some sort and does unclip and will fit your new cable.

You don't need the suppresser.  Its there to suppress electromagnetic noise from the cable to make it adhere to certain regulations, but in the case of where we're using it?  Nah - don't worry.  Shouldn't interfere with anything in any realistic way.

Any straight through network cable will do the job absolutely fine, or raid ebay for a coiled one if you want.  In fact, ebay for the cable will be a lot cheaper than Wilkinsons too...

Shame you're not nearer to me - I could re-crimp the ends for you (networking is my job!).

Thanks for the info guys, that's very helpful, especially as I shall be going up to the peak district next weekend and need a replacement pronto.

It never occurred to me that it was basically an ethernet cable - I have a flipping box of them!

I had this problem on this mount and it was not the cable but the female DC connection in the mount control panel.  I noticed eventually that it would briefly lose connection.  I now use a direct DC connection to the mount.

I had this problem on this mount and it was not the cable but the female DC connection in the mount control panel.  I noticed eventually that it would briefly lose connection.  I now use a direct DC connection to the mount.

I've tried it with another cable and it seems to be okay, so fingers crossed that's what it is!

I've had this problem as well. I really wish SW would use better quality power connectors. Standard 5mm charger type sockets really don't cut it on a device that moves about and is used outdoors. Don't even get me started on cigar type plugs! Nothing more frustrating that have the power blip and having to faff about re-aligning again. It always seems to happen at a critical moment as well!

I've had this problem as well. I really wish SW would use better quality power connectors. Standard 5mm charger type sockets really don't cut it on a device that moves about and is used outdoors. Don't even get me started on cigar type plugs! Nothing more frustrating that have the power blip and having to faff about re-aligning again. It always seems to happen at a critical moment as well!

I've finally traced it to the cigar lighter to 5mm 12v connector - it's got a dog-leg type plug and seems to be where the problem is.

I've tried a different cable and it doesn't seem to have any problems. Touch wood.

I've finally traced it to the cigar lighter to 5mm 12v connector - it's got a dog-leg type plug and seems to be where the problem is.

I've tried a different cable and it doesn't seem to have any problems. Touch wood.

So exactly the same problem I'm seeing then. I'm tempted to DIY a proper socket into the housing to cure this once and for all.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Yep, I told you so.  Mine did the same so I just hardwired it straight onto the PCB.  It is the female receiving end on your control panel that is the problem.  It will happen again.  Just get your soldering iron out and solder it straight onto the PCB.

It is the female receiving end on your control panel that is the problem.

I don't think it is - I think in this case it's the male plug. It disconnects when I slightly bend the rubber housing on the plug's "elbow". Used another cable with a straight plug and it stopped happening. Very annoying either way, it should last a bit better than that!

Your straight plug is probably just a better fit to the socket. I think the central hole on the supplied right angle one is maybe a little slack. Either way, it's not something you expect on an expensive scope!

I'm probably going to switch to a good quality 6.5mm 3 pin DIN or XLR depending on space.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-65mm-power-din-3-pin-plug-n83kt

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/neutrik-nc3mrx-right-angled-xlr-male-silver-n34gb

• 2 weeks later...

Archived