NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moving a 10" dob?

Tube Screamer

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a Skywatcher 250px classic dob, and was just wondering how you guys moved them around?

Is there any knack for lifting and moving them fully assembled, for say getting it in and out of the house, through doorways etc?

I see that the base has a handle fitted, but it seems to be in a pretty useless position to me, unless it is just for when the optical tube is removed?

I just wondered if there were any tips anyone could give me as regards lugging it in and out of the house?

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are not confident/comfortable with moving it about, then the safest way is as above, move the tube and base separately. 

I move mine all in one piece, lifting it using the tensioning handles at the alt bearings. I keep it close in and resting against my outer thigh to keep it stable but I can easily lift and control the weight and have a clear path to carry it over. Manoeuvring through the garage door needs a bit of care not to bang the finder on the door frame but that is all.

Agree with first reply, I always separate base from tube indoors, move the base outside using the handle, it's pretty useful in fact. No probs getting thru any normal door. Then I carry the tube outside, and hey presto, ready to go. Usually takes about one or two minutes and has proven to be far more portable then I ever thought it would be.

I may move it a few feet fully assembled once I am outside to help get a better view, although I do so very carefully as it can land with a bump if not careful. Plus I don't like putting too much stress on the side bars if I can help it.

I lift mine all in one piece, just taking care not to hit the finder on my shed door frame.

When I put it down I lower it gently onto one of my feet and then rock it to noe side until it touches the floor. Saves it going with a bump on the deck.

D.C

Take the tube out...30 seconds...then carry it in a bear hug.

Base is then a breeze to move sideways or whatever angle is needed to get through doorways etc..

Drop the tube back in... another 30 seconds.

Much more manageable than trying to move in one piece.

I carry the 8" dob in 2 pieces with a rolson carrying strap that is permanently attached to the ota, that way you grip the handle on the strap with one hand and the other hand holding the base of the ota. Perfect for when the ota is dewed up and slippery. They cost about £2.00 from aldi.

Archived