Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW panaview versus SW SWA70 eps

nicks90

properly confused.

I have slowly been getting better eps to match the might of the 12" dob - and have so far got the 38mm and 32mm panaview 2" eps. Both deliver great images, although I do notice a distortion/pincushion on the outer 10% of the 32mm, but not enough to spoil the enjoyment over my normal 32mm plossl.

My next step is to get a decent 20-26mm ep and initially i have been looking at getting the 26mm panaview and doing the full set!

but looking on FLO, it would appear skywatcher do two types of 70deg 2" ep, the panaview and the SWA70. The swa70 would be a 22mm ep instead of 26mm, but other than the outside appearance of the ep, the price and eye relief is simillar to each other. I am also planning on getting a 2" barlow, so the 22mm would probably be more useful as it would give me a better range of focal lengths from the eps. 

So my question is which of the two eps would perform better in an F5 big dob, the 26mm panaview or the 22mm swa70? and which would work best barlowed?

any help would be muchly appreciated.

Nick

I can't speak for the 22mm SWA 70 but I've had the 32mm SWA 70 on loan to test for a while and I'd say it's similar to a Panaview in performance but not better. 

I also have the 13mm and 5mm in this series and hope to post a report on all of these soon but I've not used the 22mm. 

I can offer my unscientific, individual personal view on the 17mm SWA

To be honest i'm struggling to like it.. don't know why, I just can't get my eye in the right place to not cause black outs, im fairly sure (and someone far wiser than me will hopefully confirm that the stats like exit puples, eye relief and the like are good) but I can t get on with this EP at all (I really wanted to as well), it's big, heavy and I also find it uncomfortable to view through.. 

Spent some time with it last night, I actually just positioned my scope at nothing in particular, comfortable height, no obstructions, just to use the eyepiece... I actually got really frustrated with it. (secretly think its the reason I've had a head ache all day..)

I'm actually eagerly awaiting John's review on them, but at the moment it's probably my least favourite EP.. 

Imho the 38mm is way too wide and it did seem that when I looked through.I would get rid of the 2 panaviews and get an es 30mm 82° like the one I just sold as it suits the scope well.I would then drop down to about a 20mm then a 12mm for medium power then an 8mm and 2x barlow for high power.when I had the scope I used the 30mm about 95% of the time then the 18mm rest of the time.hardly used the 14,8.8 or 6.7

...., I just can't get my eye in the right place to not cause black outs, im fairly sure (and someone far wiser than me will hopefully confirm that the stats like exit puples, eye relief and the like are good) 

The exit pupil and eye relief with the eyepieces seem fine to me but I do need to have the twist up eyecup section in it's uppermost position with all of them to avoid blackouts. I find the same with all eyepieces that use this twist up eyeceup design. I don't wear glasses when observing.

I agree the 38 is a little to wide and the exit pupil is too big, but it makes a great finder ep!

That's why I wanted a decent 32mm wide field and it is lovely. My thinking is now to get something like a 22/26 and a quality 2" Barlow and that would give me a nice range of

38, 32, 22, 16 and 11mm.

Its really just deciding on which 20+mm ep to get, as I can't afford more than £80 ish, and this will probably be the only new ep I buy (unless I can find one second hand)

Crash, I cannot afford an es 82. Not even one.

Hi Nick, forget the 2" Barlow, they just don't work well with the low power widefields, especially the PanaViews, I know, I have tried it and have now sold my SW 2" ED Barlow.  Besides, there's little point in Barlowing a low power widefield, rather defeats the object a bit.

Archived