NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

xbox webcam mod

Jonesee

Please can someone help I modded my xbox webcam via the cliff way I checked the webcam worked before I modded it but my question is how can I check that I have modded it correctly is there a way ? I only ask as I tried using it last night via sharp cap and got nothing at all, I am all new to this hobby so have no clue if i am doing things correct also what ways can I use the cam ie does it have to be with a specific lens?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, if you have taken the lens and filter out, when plugged into the computer the 4 green LED's should also be dead.

The only test is to point it to a bright object (even the laptop screen) to make sure it is still picking up an image.

Getting it focused is one problem, the best way to test it though is in normal daylight on the scope. You can then see what is happening and play around with it to start with. Leaving some settings to auto in daylight may also help.

Night time viewing is much harder even when you know you can focus it as all the settings make a massive difference onto what is being picked up. So to start with a bright moon is ideal before progressing to other smaller objects.

Cant really add much more to what Paul has said. Testing it in the daytime on a terrestrial object and noting where the focus point is would be a good place to start. If your attempting to set it up with no moon up, are there any street lights or pylons or cooling towers anywhere near you? You need something with a nice bright light that stays still so you can make sure everything is aligned properly and in a reasonable focus area, then go looking for those elusive planets.

When I was imaging Jupiter last week it took me nearly an hour to get everything lined up right and to find the planet (I hadn't been out imaging in a while) so as with everything else give it plenty of patience and practice. Once you do start to get results it makes it slightly sweeter knowing that you modded the cam yourself.

Matt 

It may well not be in focus.  What scope are you using it in and how far from the normal in-focus eyepiece position is the focuser?

James

Im using a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ and i have tried different positions in the focuser from all in up to 3" out and still get the same image of green.

Hmmm.  It may well need to go further down inside the focuser tube.  It seems to be quite awkward for a camera to achieve focus with most of the Synta-manufactured 130 scopes.

James

Does that mean that i have modded the cam ok?  is it just a focus issue then.

Yes i have the same scope, the front of the cam needs to be almost at the edge of the EP holder.

If you search my posts you will see mine with a bought adaptor for the cam as i couldn't find any tube the right size.

Experiment, you will probably have to cut your holder down shorter.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

That looks reasonably positive to me.  Looks like the colour balance needs adjusting and suchlike, but it appears fundamentally to be working and not to be too far out of focus though it's hard to tell for sure.

There does appear to be a fair bit of vignetting, especially around the top.  That suggests that perhaps the torch body is too long or too thick for the way you're using it and perhaps it isn't on perfectly square.  It would certainly be worth having a try on the Moon to see how that looks.

Yes i have the same scope, the front of the cam needs to be almost at the edge of the EP holder.

If you search my posts you will see mine with a bought adaptor for the cam as i couldn't find any tube the right size.

Experiment, you will probably have to cut your holder down shorter.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk[/quote

I chose the torch so I had 3 different lengths as the pic shows

post-35345-0-71678300-1393441128_thumb.j

You will also find that with the webcam that the image size is about twice the size of Prime Focus with a DSLR so you shouldn't need to try and move it further away. If you need it bigger then a 2x Barlows will help.

Just one extra thing to consider is that the AVI files will get very big as you record, so some file management is required. 

This is the sort of thing that came with my already-adapted Phillips. You can also attach a filter. I don't know if it would fit yours though. FLO always seem to be out-of-stock of this but there are others out there.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/125-low-profile-nosepiece-to-webcam-lens-thread-toucam-840k.html

Archived