SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is there a mount which does all this?

osbourne one-nil

I've got an Astrotrac for DSLR photography and a Port II with Argo Navis for easy push too use with my Televue 85. I'd like to add tracking too for lunar and planetary evenings. 

Is there a one mount which would cover all that? I'm thinking I'd lose the ability to slew about by hand?

Why not use the Astrotrac for tracking?  The Mount has an advertised load capacity of 15kg and can easily handle the Televue 85, depending on what kind of tripod you have placed the Astrotrac?

PS. For example, this is the official Astrotrac travel pier:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3738_Compact-stowing-travel-pier.html

and here you can see how the telescope is mounted:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3787_Astrotrac-travel-platform-for-astro-photography-complet-package.html

Yep - that's another option I'd wondered about. I don't think I'd be able to use it with the Argo Navis, but that wouldn't matter at all for lunar or planetary work. 

At the moment, the Astrotrac is mounted on a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod (load capacity 7kg) and a Mafrotto 496RC2 head (load capacity 6kg). I've got a HAL130 Vixen tripod so I'm sure I could mount it all on that instead. It's definitely an option, but ideally I'd like just one mount...and therefore more space!

Yep - that's another option I'd wondered about. I don't think I'd be able to use it with the Argo Navis, but that wouldn't matter at all for lunar or planetary work. 

At the moment, the Astrotrac is mounted on a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod (load capacity 7kg) and a Mafrotto 496RC2 head (load capacity 6kg). I've got a HAL130 Vixen tripod so I'm sure I could mount it all on that instead. It's definitely an option, but ideally I'd like just one mount...and therefore more space!

Well, in that case, if you want to consolidate and just have a single Mount.

Why not sell it all and then go for something like a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro or Celestron Advanced VX Mount?

You can then buy a matching small dovetail bar with photo screw, to directly Mount your DSLR onto the Mount.

Something I am currently going to do with my DSLR and incoming N EQ6 Pro Mount. :) (as I am still saving up for a Scope and still undecided what Scope I am going for heh)

And then do I miss the freedom and simplicity of my Porta Mount? I wouldn't need the Astrotrac still though, and it would perhaps be better to put the TV85 on a GEM than on an Astrotrac, plus I'd get goto. Perhaps two mounts is the answer. I don't want to end up buying what I once sold in a few years' time!

Depends if you polar aligned Your Astrotrac for long(er) exposure astrophotography with your DSLR?

The Astrotrac seems to have a good reputation with accurate tracking, which will be matched With a Advanced VX or HEQ5 Mount. Hence, why I mentioned them as possible replacement.

So then you have the Porta Mount as easy to use manual Alt-Az Mount and a Advanced VX / HEQ5 for Astrophotography and visual observation with GoTo and accurate tracking.

PS. With the Advanced VX / HEQ5, imaging with your TV85 and DSLR also becomes possible. Such a fantastic Scope not to use for imaging also. :p

Oh indeed, nothing ambitious, just the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn...Pleiades...that sort of thing.

Perhaps people do image with a 600mm focal length with an Astrotrac? I shall do some research. But I think if I had a GEM like you mention, I'd not need the Astrotrac. 

Let me do some thinking!

Oh indeed, nothing ambitious, just the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn...Pleiades...that sort of thing.

Perhaps people do image with a 600mm focal length with an Astrotrac? I shall do some research. But I think if I had a GEM like you mention, I'd not need the Astrotrac. 

Let me do some thinking!

If you have the latest AstroTrac TT320XAG version, then it has an ST-4 guideport. But you still lack the GoTo functionality tho. Which is really Nice to have for astrophotography.

That's the only downside really. But when it comes to portability. It's unmatched.

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT will do all that, can be set up as a Alt Az or EQ mount and even after aligning if you slew by hand you don't lose alignment. Not cheap and relatively heavy but it does do all you ask.

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT will do all that, can be set up as a Alt Az or EQ mount and even after aligning if you slew by hand you don't lose alignment. Not cheap and relatively heavy but it does do all you ask.

And definitely not portable either. ;) And very overkill for his TeleVue 85.  Unless he plans on buying a large scope later on.

I'm not so fussed about cost to a point, but the bulk of these things is perhaps counter-productive if I'm trying to save space. The weight isn't a problem actually. The AZ-EQ6 would certainly do everything I want and allow for a bigger scope at some point (although my 10" Dob is always available) or an additional scope at the same time. But so would the iOptron I mentioned earlier for what appears less weight. Hmmm - this is stopping me doing too much work. I love it!

The TV85 is a lovely scope, I've recently started imaging with mine and very happy with the results, it's literally a whole new world I haven't been able to see before. It will be going on an AZEQ6 in my obsy along with a bigger refractor.

The portamount is fun and so easy but I'd be very tempted to go with a HEQ5 pro, opens the imaging door if you want to venture through.

I've got an Astrotrac for DSLR photography and a Port II with Argo Navis for easy push too use with my Televue 85. I'd like to add tracking too for lunar and planetary evenings. 

Is there a one mount which would cover all that? I'm thinking I'd lose the ability to slew about by hand?

Hi,

Sell the Astrotrac and get an Ioptron ZEQ25, I have played around with one and it is quite impressive for a very portable mount.

A.G

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for this excellent mount, very impressive, really pleased that I spent the extra cash as it will last me a long time.  Purchased 12 months old & little used secondhand at not a lot more than a as new EQ6 Pro.

Archived