Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation 8 eyepiece

Hi guys

When I received my new Revelation 8 telescope a little while ago a 30mm super view eyepiece came with the scope. Basically I just wanted to know if this particular eyepiece was any good and if it is worth me getting any more. When I was doing some research into these eyepieces I think I read somewhere that they are basically a bigger version of the Plossol eyepiece am I correct in saying this...

Attached is a photo of the eyepiece

Would appreciate anyone's input

Astro man

post-33603-0-87153800-1393187848_thumb.j

I have the 42mm which gives 28x magnification, and I use it as a finder scope for star hopping, observing Andromeda, and for when I need a wide view similar to binoculars.

The 30mm will be useful size for you at 40x and 70-degrees.

And the optical quality is good for the price (£36 delivered)

I already had a set of Revelation Plossls which have served me well on the SkyWatcher 8" dob.

But the 52-degree view is too narrow for me now.

Keep the 30mm and get something else around 20mm / 12mm / 8mm / 6mm to give you 60x / 100x / 150x / 200x

Something around 70-degrees are nice to have.

PS - keep the 9mm supplied Plossl and Barlow it by 2x to give you a ridiculous 266x magnification on the moon.

Excellent for the rare nights when it works and you need more than 200x.

I have the 42mm which gives 28x magnification, and I use it as a finder scope for star hopping, observing Andromeda, and for when I need a wide view similar to binoculars.

The 30mm will be useful size for you at 40x and 70-degrees.

And the optical quality is good for the price (£36 delivered)

I already had a set of Revelation Plossls which have served me well on the SkyWatcher 8" dob.

But the 52-degree view is too narrow for me now.

Keep the 30mm and get something else around 20mm / 12mm / 8mm / 6mm to give you 60x / 100x / 150x / 200x

Something around 70-degrees are nice to have.

PS - keep the 9mm supplied Plossl and Barlow it by 2x to give you a ridiculous 266x magnification on the moon.

Excellent for the rare nights when it works and you need more than 200x.

266x is also a good mag for Mars on those good nights. Its starting to give up some good detail now.

12-14mm is a good workhorse size eyepiece in that scope. Good for smaller objects that will be lost in the 30mm. Such as smaller galaxies, globular clusters, planetary nebulas and doubles stars. Plus it will barlow to a good useable planetary eyepiece providing 180-200x (depending on size you chose).

Archived