Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - not a shadow transit last night?

kerrylewis

Postings here refer to shadow transit last night around 20.00 but apps etc show it as a moon - Callisto. These usually look bright against the planet and can be difficult to see but last night's transit was dark and looked just like a shadow. At first I thought that the shadow and the moon might be coinciding but this seems to be impossible.

Anyone have the definitive answer - moon or shadow?

Jupiter Moons lists a multiple moon transit, but there is only Callisto showing so I assume it must have been a shadow too. I saw a shadow very clearly last night, and know from experience that I can't see the moons themselves once they are away from the limb, there is not enough contrast with a small scope.

Still looking for a 'definitive answer' though.....

Stu

a9ade8ed.jpg

Yes Stu - I had the same. I assumed that 'multiple moon transit' might mean moon + shadow but I could only see what looked like a shadow in the position that the app was predicting the moon to be.

I have seen moons in transit but agree that they are not easy to see until they get near the limb, and look bright not dark.

Someone out there must have the answer!

It is intriguing. It seems like we did see a moon and not a shadow. Any images? There is one in the beginners section but that looks likes shadow. And why did the app list a 'multiple' transit? I will not rest until we have the definitive!!

Fabulous U Cyg, that seems to explain it. It proves that I've never seen Callisto transiting before because I've not been able to pick up the other moons except near the limb. I'm amazed it was so clear, could have sworn it was a shadow.

Many thanks,

Stu

I was watching this too and was surprised how dark it was. Although it looked like a shadow, it was actually Callisto itself which is very dark. Just goes to show how bright Jupiter is compared to its moon. Jupiter has an albedo of over 0.5, whereas Callisto is only 0.2, hence it appears dark in comparison.

Kerry, have a look in the link I posted earlier, projectpluto. This has a list for the whole year. They are not so frequent because Callisto is the outermost moon and so takes longest to orbit.

Looks like the next one is on 28th March but early in the morning (effectively very late night 27th :-) ) 3.12am until 6.46am

Callisto is IV in this list

y8egy4eh.jpg

Stu

Great. You really do learn something every day in this hobby and on this forum. I have seen moon transits before but never looking like this. It makes you want to turn back the clock 24 hrs and watch again but hopefully we will see more images or videos. Meanwhile I've set the alarm for 3.12 on March 28th!

Really? Didn't think of that! ....

Easily done. I often plan to view or image something and then suddenly realise that it has set, or the sun had risen, or the full moon is in the way, or it's hidden by my big apple tree, or all sorts of other reasons!

Take two!

How about 13th April? Coincides with GRS Transit too, starting around 10.30 at 36 degrees altitude.ytepe9y9.jpg

Stu

Looks good . I don't have a great view to the west from the garden but with judicious positioning of the scope I should get it. BUT it will be cloudy.........

Archived