Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SKYMAX-127 SynScan AZ GO-TO

SO just got the scope home. Damn its easy to setup, compared to my old NEQ6 and SW explorer 200PDS.

Unfortunately its overcast and snowing here so can not first light it yet.

A question for you out there with the skymax scope. If you use webcam or dslr in it do you attach it straight to the backend of the scope or do you use the diagonal ?

Don't think it is as easy as diagonal or straight.

If you put the DSLR on I would say you may have to use a diagonal - the DSLR could impact on the mount itself if the scope attains a reasonable angle, however you may not achieve focus on the DSLR.

You may have to add a barlow in as well, this is usually done at the eyepiece and the barlow can often give the extra distance required to get focus on the DSLR.

Straight through seems easier and removes possible problems in the optics but the layout of the scope was intended for diagonal use.

Be careful of the weight, the Skymax mount was probably not designed with the idea of adding close to 1Kg on the end of the OTA.

You can pretty much always achieve focus with a Mak because of the way they work -- the focal plane moves to the camera or eyepiece, not the other way around.

As long as there is clearance for the camera between the OTA and the mount I'd put the camera onto the OTA without a diagonal.  I do exactly that, but I have mine on an EQ mount so clearance is not an issue.  A DSLR with a T-adaptor should go straight onto the visual back I think.  It does for mine, but mine is quite old and the newer models may be different.

James

Thanks for info.

I have been thinking about the extra weight of a DSLR but as my skymax is mounted with a dovetail I expect I can move it further forward and balance the weight of the scope and dslr so it does not pull forward or backwards.

SO just got the scope home. Damn its easy to setup, compared to my old NEQ6 and SW explorer 200PDS.

Unfortunately its overcast and snowing here so can not first light it yet.

A question for you out there with the skymax scope. If you use webcam or dslr in it do you attach it straight to the backend of the scope or do you use the diagonal ?

You can attach the dslr direct to the mak without the diagonal with the correct adaptor as I do with mine.

Archived