NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Owl Cluster - bad romance

I think it is true that AP is a bad romance.

You can spend nights when you think that everything is perfect and the result is Rubbish and nights when you think that you are doing something wrong but the result is beyond your expectation.

Ok so let's talk about this guy here  :)

32subs x 30sec - ISO 800

10 dark

10 bias 1/4000

8" dob GoTo with AstroZap Light Shroud and canon 1100D 

The post processing on PS was minimum and i am delighted with the result.

It is incredible how the noise is reduced just applying dark and bias.

Here is the link to my data if you want to play with it  :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxopvhk16xm2dkd/Autosave.tif

As always thanks for watching.

post-32167-0-09145400-1392974545_thumb.j

Wow, very nice. How did you manage 30 second exposures without star trailing or rotational error? 20 seconds is the absolute limit with my 300P with 15" being more consistent. Hopefully I'm missing a trick! :)

I use GoTo Tracking system and i spend time to perform an accurate alignment with 2 stars (i don't know if you are familiar with it).

I think 30sec seems the limit but i tell you this, i did an experiment with last shot keeping the shutter opened for 1 minute in bulb mode. The star trail was not exaggerated  and i think it was mostly due to my finger pressing the button on the camera :D

I am thinking to buy an intervallometer and give it try to longer exposure.

I use GoTo Tracking system and i spend time to perform an accurate alignment with 2 stars (i don't know if you are familiar with it).

I think 30sec seems the limit but i tell you this, i did an experiment with last shot keeping the shutter opened for 1 minute in bulb mode. The star trail was not exaggerated  and i think it was mostly due to my finger pressing the button on the camera :D

I am thinking to buy an intervallometer and give it try to longer exposure.

My alignment is okay I think. I guess the position of the object in the sky has a large bearing on it. The Owl is almost overhead at the moment which (I assume) would the reduce the movement. Also, your scope is lighter so perhaps the mount tracks more smoothly. If you are achieving consistent 30sec exposures you should be able to get some really nice shots with your aperture. Who says dobs are no good for photography ;)

Sometimes I get lucky. I've occasionally managed 1 minute. Very hit and miss though. You've inspired me to have another go! :)

My alignment is okay I think. I guess the position of the object in the sky has a large bearing on it. The Owl is almost overhead at the moment which (I assume) would the reduce the movement. Also, your scope is lighter so perhaps the mount tracks more smoothly. If you are achieving consistent 30sec exposures you should be able to get some really nice shots with your aperture. Who says dobs are no good for photography ;)

Sometimes I get lucky. I've occasionally managed 1 minute. Very hit and miss though. You've inspired me to have another go! :)

definitely mate go for it.

You know when i bought my scope i wasn't thinking about AP at all.

I wanted something easy to use, because you know when you have a family your spare time is reduced and precious.

So i decided to go for something alt-az and purely for observation but then talking with a friend of mine i got convinced to give to AP a try.

For me this result are really beyond any personal expectation :)

Hello,

I suppose, with the 200P is easier to reach 30 seconds because its focal lenght is 1200mm, while the 300P should be 1500mm long, so the longer the focal lenght, the sooner trailing will appear. However the 300P has a bigger light grasp and lower F/Ratio, so you should be still getting some good data at 20s :icon_scratch:  :grin: I also read somewhere that objects low in the sky will show more trailing :)

I do get some reasonable results with perseverance. The light gathering capability of the dobo definitely helps. Not up there with the guided setups obviously.

ma3amu5y.jpg

8ede6apa.jpg

But satisfying none the less :)

I mainly stick to planetary though as that works pretty well.

Archived