NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Plenetary for a change

sidelight

Well the weather has been rubbish until tonight, so with the small chance I did get I took my 450D off a couple of 2x Barlows, hanging out of the 200P.  It wasn't the most promising or stable looking and I guess I wasn't expecting much.  But what I did get was a pleasant surprise given the seeing was bad and I don't often even attempt planetary stuff with the choice of a 200P or a 130PDS.  I wasn't sure if putting 2 barlows together would work, even ignoring what it would do to the light path, and wasn't sure I would get focus.

But anyway it turned out to be my best Jupiter to date, although the image is slightly out of focus.

2f27130a5c8f092b3695a45776668c62.1824x0_

Cheers

Ross

Thanks Leveye, The only things there were my 450D with a T Adapter and a couple of 1.25" 2x Barlows I had.  I did have another but it wouldn't play nicely with the others, I think the one that wouldn't stack was a cheap Meade one, the others were equally cheap (one of them came with the 200P).  Between using the standard 1.25" adapter tube from my focuser, to get enough distance for focus and the barlows this thing stuck out of the scope more than I should really have let it especially to hang a DSLR from.

I was more curious to see if it worked to be honest and not having anything more powerful than a 2x Barlow wondered if they could be stacked.  Nothing scientific, just a bit of time slotting things that fit together, and play with focus to see if I could get it to work.  One of those happy accidents.

Cheers
Ross

maybe the R&T 'logo' should be less conspicuous too  :D

Don't listen to them watermark everything! lol

:biggrin: Usually when I post here it's not there, but I was tired (as you can tell from my spelling of planetary in the title  :embarrassed: ), and waiting for PI to process a stack of lights for the first time in months. 

really nice

I've wondered if I can use my barlow on my canon 600D that will be here tomorrow
though I may not need to as the 600D can be set to zoom into X10, I have seen images used mixing Barlow & zoom that are way bigger than I can currently do
from a similar setup to mine and in stunning detail, also the barlow would allow me to attach my 1.25 LP filter that I can't use on the standard 2" mount
I really need some clear skies to experiment with different configurations to see what works best (like thats going to happen)

Archived