Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light: Leica Zoom ASPH 17.8-8.9mm on 80ED

YKSE

Finally!

After sharing with many of site members of this weeks of terrible weather, the sky cleared up tonight, SQM

showed around 18.3 before the moon got up, and about 16.5 to 18 after depending where to look.

SN2014J was the first target since I've not had the chance to see it yet. Quite easy to locate M82 before

the moon got up, the SN was readily seen with finder EP 31mm in 66x, changed to Leica and BCO 18mm for about

120x, there were not much difference in SN, but, M82 did show a little more detail, and somewhat bigger size

both in direct and averted vision. The SN felt about of the same brightness as the two faint stars just below

M82 to the right.

Now up went the 80ED to the mount, 10mm BCO and Leica for about 60x, the SN was only visible in averted

vision, seen more easily with Leica. The two faint stars were not seen in any EP, so they should be fainter

than SN.

M36: Noticeably more nebulosity in Leica than 10mm BCO in this cluster.

M37: Some fainter stars somewhat easily seen in Leica.

M42: Bigger nebulosity in Leica, the faint star above the trapezium more easily seen in Leica.

Jupiter:
Leica couldnot get into focus when barlowed with full VIP for 2.5x, so it was barlowed with one 25A, 2" to

1.25" reducer and 1.25" nosepiece for about 2.25x, to compare with 10mm BCO barlowed with QT 2.25x barlow

for about 135x.
Scatter was actually a little better in BCO, while Leica showed a little more color variation in the main bands than BCO.

As with C8, when Leica is not used in the most lowest mag, the Outer field brightenning is not there unless

I look for it.

Leica is still sharp to the edge in all focal lengths in 80ED.

Comparing to my first light on SCT, Leica works in 80ED as least as good, if not better. :smiley:

Another great report on this exciting eyepiece Yong - thanks for posting it  :smiley:

With the greatest respect to the Leica zoom, those BCO's don't half do well for their relatively megre cost, don't they ?

But the Leica sounds like it's living up to it's reputation as a real alternative to a number of top drawer eyepieces, which justifies it's cost I reckon   :smiley:

Michael, I'm kind of sure a question from you will be like this :smiley:

ER for Leica zoom is something between 16mm to 17mm, more closer 17mm, based on specification from TS HR's 16mm, and Baader Aspheric 31mm's 17mm, actually it feels a bit easier than MV 24mm's 18mm ER becasuse of bigger eye lens in Leica.

Michael, I'm kind of sure a question from you will be like this :smiley:

ER for Leica zoom is something between 16mm to 17mm, more closer 17mm, based on specification from TS HR's 16mm, and Baader Aspheric 31mm's 17mm, actually it feels a bit easier than MV 24mm's 18mm ER becasuse of bigger eye lens in Leica.

Thanks for that quick (and potentially costly ;)) answer. 16-17mm is about right for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Until last week I had a pair of the leica's for bino use in my MkV. From the start always found them not ideal in that application due to IPD and diameter of eyepiece.

But views.....WOW, just as all the praises on the CN site.

To a mono viewer they would eliminate most of your eps in that range. I sold one but keeping one for fun in my forth coming 14" dob build.

Just wished they worked for me in bino use as the luxury of zooming to suit seeing conditions and optimum aperture capability was heaven, no re-balancing of scopes or risking dropping eps in the dark when changing over.

You guessed it....definitely recommended

YMMV (bet it doesn't by much!)

Cheers

Paul

The Leica definitely is on the short-list for a zoom EP. I am also tempted by the Meopta 7.3 - 14.6 one:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=3810

The range is a bit more to my liking, the price is also a lot more modest (still not cheap). It seems to be slightly ahead of the Leica is fast scopes.

Archived