Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16/2/14 White light

JB80

Thanks all. :)

Steve, yeah it bugged me today. I had the shots away nice and early and things were going smooth up to a point.

This is what I would of thought was the best one from today but it has more noticeable issues.

post-8383-0-03725600-1392573429_thumb.jp

Hi Jarrod ,

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

How much time elapsed between the shots Jarrod and what mount are you using ... ?

When I did my method of stacking on individual areas there are definite rotation errors showing up which I would assume means you're using an Alt-Az ... ?

If this is the case then I can only suggest collecting as many frames as you can in as short a time period as is possible to lessen the effect , I get dodgy edges sometimes if I select frames from both the beginning and end of a lengthy session when the Sun's own rotation comes into play .

Stacked on TL group.

post-21219-0-61213000-1392588635_thumb.p

Stacked on BR group.

post-21219-0-96136800-1392588607_thumb.p

Still looking good Jarrod. It is one thing getting a good picture now and again but a great picture every day takes some doing. If you don't mind me saying it looks slightly over-exposed?

Perhaps Steve will work his magic on your Dropbox stack?

Robin

Hi Steve, sorry I didn't get back to you last night.

There wouldn't of been much time between the images, no more than a few minutes at most from the first to last. I'm using a EQ3-2 but if I'm honest I tend to not align it when I don't have the motors hooked up so I just plonk it down and point at the sun, that would explain the rotation.

If this is the case then I can only suggest collecting as many frames as you can in as short a time period as is possible to lessen the effect , I get dodgy edges sometimes if I select frames from both the beginning and end of a lengthy session when the Sun's own rotation comes into play .

I have come to the same conclusion when doing it this way to, the software behaves much better when grouping a dozen or so pics taken in succession.

Of course there is a fix that should take rotation out of the equation, I just have to locate the motors. Even roughly aligning the mount should help, I honestly hadn't considered it before now though.

I got the same results when doing your method too but it's good to know that it's not just me.

Thanks for having a shot at it. :)

Still looking good Jarrod. It is one thing getting a good picture now and again but a great picture every day takes some doing. If you don't mind me saying it looks slightly over-exposed?

Perhaps Steve will work his magic on your Dropbox stack?

Robin

Cheers Robin,

It's over processed more than anything I think, I was trying a number of different things and ended up with a real dark final image so in the end I just threw my hands up and hit it with the brightness slider.

It was a bit of a mess all in all.

And today it's cloudy so I may not get a chance to correct a few things.

Hi Jarrod ,

I use the EQ3-2 too this time of year , but motorised ( couldn't find any 14 foot flexi-controls ...  :grin:  )  so I know you'll be fine with it.

Provided the mount faces NCP pretty well it'll track OK , there's a minor difference between Solar rate and Sidereal which means a slight L-R drift over time as the 3-2 only runs Sidereal.

To cover various scenarios I accurately levelled the tripod then PA'd the mount within a little , then I marked the position of the bubble on the mount with a Sharpie as it was off-centre .

I find that now all I need do when out and about on uneven unfamiliar ground is point the tripod North , easy to judge if you can see the Sun and know the time , and adjust the legs till the bubble's where it should be .

Provided you align the camera so that the RA control moves the image left and right across the screen you should have no problem keeping the target in frame .

I had alignment all marked out in Belgium so it was second nature to me which is probably why it skipped my mind here. I have been meaning to do the same here for when I give planetary another crack but think I'll wait for a clear not so windy night soon and do it properly.

I pretty much stay put on my terrace so if I can set it up once properly then it should be the same every time.

Provided you align the camera so that the RA control moves the image left and right across the screen you should have no problem keeping the target in frame .

I'll have o check on that because I can't rotate the camera once it's on the t-ring, it doesn't sit entirely square as it is.

You should find three very small screws round the outside of the T-ring , loosen those and the threaded 'innards' should be able to rotate to allow alignment , I  had a similar thing with the wedge a while ago.

I had wondered what those were for in the past, I'll give that a try thanks. :)

The second image is perfect, a little touch of the paint brush will get rid of the little white line and nobody would notice :)

Alexandra

Thanks, I did try the clone stamp at first but noticed it more so. Maybe because I knew it was there.

Archived